4F question

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

Ok, we have found several items that belonged to my wife's uncle in WW2. The other day we found a draft card of his, it was marked 4F however he enlisted and served as an Army Medic in the Pacific we also found his draft card after he mustered out showing he had been discharged.

Now my question, I thought if you were 4F you couldn't enlist and wouldn't be drafted. From his service obviously what I thought was wrong but how often did that happen.

Don't have the cards with me right now but can scan them in this evening if needed.

Thanks in advance.

The requirements to receive a 4F rating may have changed from early war to later in the war. If he received his 4F say in 1941, by 1943 he could have been "upgraded." Also since the local draft board was exactly that, local, he may have known someone who could help get his rating change. One other option is that he took his physical at a different location where the doc just gave him a cursory examination and certified him as fit.

The requirements to receive a 4F rating may have changed from early war to later in the war. If he received his 4F say in 1941, by 1943 he could have been "upgraded." Also since the local draft board was exactly that, local, he may have known someone who could help get his rating change. One other option is that he took his physical at a different location where the doc just gave him a cursory examination and certified him as fit.

I would think with the demand for numbers increasing, the standards were lowered....My neighbor was 4F twice, due to being legally blind in one eye....Third time he was notified, he figured it was a formality and assumed he'd be again rated 4F...He was mistaken, he was in...Was placed in the engineers as a carpenter, Bodes

prestoncohunter

Ok the cards that I have. A notice to appear for physical dated May 16, 1941 a classification card (4F) dated June 2, 1941 and a Notice of Classification dated Feb 21, 1946 listing him at 1-C Disc.

According to his DD-214 Date of induction was Sept 12, 1942 and date of entry Sept 26, 1942 and a seperation date of Feb 12, 1946 as Technician Third Grade with the 103rd Medical Service Company