USN scabbards

bladelover

EBay is rife with green USN scabbards. They are often serviceable and attractive but they seem to command much lower prices than army m3's. Originally I read that they were used for naval bayonet training with a rubber bayonet. At later time I saw what was said to be a navy training bayonet with scabbard. Both the bayonet and scabbard were black in color. Later I saw a second black training set for sale. With this information in mind what is the consensus of opinion about the green navy m3's and were a large number sold as surplus within the last few years? Thanks. Jeff

The navy would be issued rifles, so would think the scabbards were marked accordingly....Often the navy marked scabbards are called out as being USMC used ones...Bodes

Bought one in the mid-70s for $3.00 brand new from some surplus magazine, for an M1905 I had. With no information about them at that time, just assumed it was a USN scabbard for M1905s. Bought a USN Training Bayonet w/ USN MK1 scabbard in 2006. By then I had known and understood the background. Still, I have no issue seeing an M1905 mated w/ a USN MK1 scabbard. Makes sense to me. SKIP