What's Going On In This WW I Photo?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Obviously, this is a WW I era photo. However, I have no clue as to what the officer and enlisted men were doing when this photo was taken.

It appears to be stateside

Paperwork appears to be involved

And all of the men look pretty happy about what is actually transpiring

But what's going on … payday - weekend passes - other?

Please chime in with your thoughts. Thanks for looking.

World War I Nerd ...

Here's an overall view. A close up of the officer, desk and the man at the front of the line will follow.

post-5143-0-77785800-1531871988_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I too, noted the absence of cash in the photo, which sort of makes a weekend pass the obvious choice.

However, that's a pretty big sheet of paper for a weekend pass, is it not?

Maybe they're signing up to buy Liberty Bonds or something and they're just smiling for the camera?

When I was a pay officer in 2nd ID, I had a loaded M1911 (and a Pay Guard and Driver, both armed with M16s). While paying my Soldiers, the .45 was placed on the table as they reported, saluting, for pay. Note the M1911 on the table. My guess is that this is pay day, several decades before I was doing it.

The 1911 looks like it doesn't have a magazine and I also see no money but it could be payday. Could it me mustering out?

I'm thinking with a pistol on the desk, the soldiers were warned to salute, smile, grin for the camera, and sign their re-enlistment papers. Not serious of course...

I was thinking posed picture, but there's another officer standing down the line....As if to help maintain some order....

Perhaps something to do with orientation for new recruits?....The guy standing and saluting is devoid of all insignia, so perhaps uniform newly issued?....Bodes

world war I nerd

We'll probably never know what they're doing, but it's fun playing the guessing game.

Thanks to all for posting.

First soldier is not wearing overcoat, no disc on collars, an officer? Also look closely at his collars, standing fall early???? Footwear black? May be pre war??????? Notice guys on stairs upper left, all looking, something pretty big??

Pondering again, it could be a pay line....Perhaps the lack of money is due to the idea it hasn't yet arrived....Guys are standing around waiting, while meanwhile a guy with a camera shows and wants a photo.....The officer sitting uses a page of the pay roster to denote some type of paper work...Meanwhile he and the man saluting engage in exchanging humerous comments....Bodes

First soldier is not wearing overcoat, no disc on collars, an officer? Also look closely at his collars, standing fall early???? Footwear black? May be pre war??????? Notice guys on stairs upper left, all looking, something pretty big??

Wool shirt collar rolled over uniform collar.See it a lot in period photos.

world war I nerd

For what it's worth, here's a real WW I era payday photo that I forgot I had.

It looks like the paymaster arrived during shower-time! Note the absence of a sidearm on the officer. Maybe the stiff-standing guy directly behind the seater officer is an armed guard? Also, I don't see cash anywhere.

Does anyone see any similarities between this photo and the image that kicked-off this thread?

post-5143-0-24794700-1532109133_thumb.jpg

Looking at the size of the document, is the unit discharging soldiers after the armistice?

Keith

Looking at the size of the document, is the unit discharging soldiers after the armistice?

Keith

That would explain why everyone is smiling. ;)