A "little" information from Tiffany Archives

emccomas

I sent a request to Tiffany and Company asking about any information they may have on the Tiffany Cross. I asked about things like dates of contract, delivery dates, quantities ordered, etc.

After a back and forth set of questions, I got this one little piece of paper. I also got a statement that no further research would be done bu the archive department, but I was welcome to schedule an appointment to search for myself.

Anyway, here is what Tiffany sent me regarding my request.

post-12036-0-96771100-1531762724_thumb.jpg

Nice work Ed! I tried this a couple of decades ago and could not afford the $750 fee they wanted to research the information. Things DO change over time, all be it slowly!

OK, to follow up on this piece of Tiffany history, this is what I can make out of the handwritten information

Top Left: Order No. 1943, which is then crossed out and the number 0206, is written above it.

Top Right: Apl 21st, 1919 (April 21, 1919)

Middle of form: Honor Medal - Navy Dept

Next line below: Make dies for medal as medal now at shop

Next line below: " ' 1 bronze gilt medal

Bottom left: WANTED: Apl 30th (April 20th)

Stamped in purple ink at an angle in the center:

Date Billed: JUL 3 1919

Bill No. 68700 (handwritten)

Handwritten in center of form at an angle:

chge for Medal 4.80 (not sure about the word "Medal")

" ' case 2.24 ex

" ' Dies $120.

review followed by someone's initials

3 - Dies sent to ??? for customer (??? appears to start with s)

Handwriiten in blue pencil: 11 - 7 - 18, with a set of initials underneath that.

Here is the email thread between Tiffany and myself that produced the form above..

Dear Mr. McComas,

Thank you for your inquiry into the Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor.

The mission of the Tiffany & Co. Archives is to support the research needs of our own Company. Staff resources are dedicated to serving employees across various departments, including Design, Legal, Public Relations, and Marketing. We are therefore unable to devote the staff time necessary to investigate each research request made by external customers. However, each year we allocate some time to aid research being performed by doctoral students, historians, museum curators, professors, or journalists.

Occasionally, Archives staff members conduct research on behalf of scholars free of charge. The following information is required in order to evaluate a request for information:

·A letter or email describing the scope of research, the materials requested for review, and objects in the Archives Collection interested in viewing and reasons why.

·If the research is to be used for an article or book, the Archives requires a letter from the publisher stating the nature of the article or book, title, and date of publication.

·Students engaged in research for their Master’s Thesis are rarely permitted to use of the Archives.

·Ph.D. Candidates must provide the following: a bibliography of what s/he has read, a list of the archives or special collections visited, and a copy of his/her dissertation proposal.

We appreciate your patience as we sort through your request.

Sincerely,

The Tiffany & Co. Archives

Sent: Monday, June 25, 2018 1:27 PM
To: Archives
Subject: Historical research on Tiffany Cross version of Medal of Honor

The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized use, printing, copying, disclosure, dissemination of or reliance upon this communication by persons other than the intended recipient may be subject to legal restriction or sanction. If you think that you have received this E-mail message in error, please reply to the sender and delete this email promptly.

Thank you for your reply.

In answer to your questions about my research effort, the following information is provided:

A letter or email describing the scope of research, the materials requested for review, and objects in the Archives Collection interested in viewing and reasons why.

My scope of my research into the Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor is specifically related to the following information:

1. The date of the contract with the United States government for the Medal of Honor.

2. The specific details of the contract, including the dates of delivery, number of medals for delivery, and the dates that the first and / or last medals were actually delivered.

The date of authorization for the new (Tiffany Cross) Medal of Honor was February 4, 1919, but my research so far seems to indicate that the first Tiffany Cross Medals of Honor were not awarded until late in 1920 or perhaps 1921. I am trying to determine when Tiffany and Company actually delivered the Medal of Honor.

If the research is to be used for an article or book, the Archives requires a letter from the publisher stating the nature of the article or book, title, and date of publication.

My intention is to publish this information as a scholarly article in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America. I have previously written an article for this journal related to World War II US Army Good Conduct Medals.

The bigger picture is my efforts to document all of the recipients of the Tiffany Cross version of the Medal of Honor. So far I have actually confirmed that 20 US Naval or Marine Corps personnel are actual recipients of the Tiffany Cross version of the Medal of Honor. I have two possible recipients still unconfirmed.

My research is, to date, the most comprehensive research into the Tiffany Cross Medal of Honor, which I personally consider to be one of the most beautiful medals ever awarded by the United States military.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Mr. McComas,

Unfortunately, we have no contracts between Tiffany & Co and the US government, and no information as to what the contract may have entailed, including the dates of delivery or numbers of medals commissioned/produced. I am attaching an order form found from 1919 for the die of the Honor Medal for the Navy, however, that is the extent of the information that we have been able to verify.

If you would like to schedule a research appointment to come in to the Archive and search through the appropriate files yourself, we would be happy to schedule the visit. Our earliest availability is towards the end of August, beginning of September. Please let us know if you are interested in visiting us in person, and we can provide you with more exact dates.

May we further suggest information found in “The Congressional Medal of Honor: The Names, The Deeds” an Oct. 15, 1984 publication by Sharp & Dunningan.

Thank you for your patience, and please let us know if there are any related inquiries that we can help you with for your research.

Best,

Tiffany & Co Archives

Nice to see that they have an archives and at least this on file. I have always wondered if they kept/have the dies for this and other medals they produced over the years.

" ' case 2.24 ex

stands for $ 2.24 costs for the case from a external manufacturer ?

Was there a special case for this type of MOH ?

Michael

Excellent, Ed. As always we'll look forward l for further information after you visit the Tiffany archives. S/F Bob

Excellent, Ed. As always we'll look forward l for further information after you visit the Tiffany archives. S/F Bob

Bob;

I hope you are not holding your breath. :)

If fate determines that I end up in New York with some free time on my hands, I might actually try it, but I kind of doubt it.

" ' case 2.24 ex

stands for $ 2.24 costs for the case from a external manufacturer ?

Was there a special case for this type of MOH ?

Michael

Yes, the Tiffany Cross came in it's own case.

The "ex" on the end might mean "extra", as in an extra cost item.

I have only seen one picture of the case, it is the picture of Edouard Izac holding his case with the Tiffany Cross in it.

post-12036-0-01403400-1532031515_thumb.jpg

Several years ago I purchased this Tiffany Cross that came from BB&B many years ago (along with a trial strike of the 1st type DSC). The striking is razor sharp. The medal itself is gold-plated bronze and was never named. The only strange thing about it is the upper pin bar, which has a different spelling of VALOUR ("VALOR"). I don't know if this was a display piece, although I suspect it was. I do know that legitimate holders of the Medal of Honor (including the Tiffany Cross) could purchase a wearing copy. I would welcome any ready thoughts or ideas

post-154050-0-25148200-1532123325.jpg

post-154050-0-34653000-1532123346.jpg

Foxfall:

I believe 4starchris was asking me where I got the photo of Sullivan's medal and box. I can't remember anymore but have had it in my files for many years.

Mark

Here's a few shots for the record. Note that this "Exhibition Only" Cross has the triangular suspension which is the same as on Marine John Joe Kelly's Cross and is marked on reverse of brooch "BB&B - Bronze". So, were the awarded Crosses solid gold or gold-plated bronze? Bobgee

TIFFANY EXHIBIT MOH 1.jpg

TIFFANY EXHIBIT MOH 7.jpg

TIFFANY EXHIBIT MOH BROOCH 5.jpg

TIFFANY EXHIBIT MOH 2.jpg

I think that all of the Tiffany Cross medals were gilded bronze.

Gilding is any decorative technique for applying fine gold leaf or powder to solid surfaces such as wood, stone, or metal to give a thin coating of gold. A gilded object is also described as "gilt".

For clarification I provided the Sullivan picture to Mark many years ago. I snagged it on ebay and it has a studio marking on the back, but I haven't viewed it in a long time.

I had a conversation with a fellow collector who prefers to remain anonymous who has handled several awarded "Tiffany" crosses and states ALL were solid gold. Keep on trucking............Bob

I know for a fact that J. Kelly's niece had his Tiffany Cross checked and it was NOT solid gold. When J. Pruitt's TC was held by the Arizona Capital Museum it, too, was determined NOT to be solid gold.

I believe these pieces were bronze with a gilt finish, as discussed earlier in this thread. While it is possible the prototype TC was solid gold, there is no documentation to support this and certainly none that supports all of them being solid gold.