AEF Air Service Insignia

JimD

This small insignia patch was with a group of WWI collar insignia that I bought at an estate sale recently. The other collar insignia pairs were very nice and included Signal Corp, Armored and Cavalry officer devices that are 100% good. But this item is unique to me and I offer it here of review. It purports, I guess, to be a 94th Squadron insignia.

post-2661-0-84287600-1531693122.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

I would like to ask what the black material is on the front? It appears rather coarse.

There are things to like and things to dislike. The bullion is crude and the accents are not what I'd want to see. I don't like the black covering on the back, but the black cheese cloth and the white sort of embroidery somewhat matches known examples of real French made ww1 bullion pilot wings. In this respect, it also somewhat matches one known example of a French made ww1 bullion aero shoulder patch. But the similarities stop there. I know of no similar examples to this specific piece, but the size appears to be similar to the squadron pin for the 94th. Then again, the workmanship is also similar to at least one repro bullion air mail wing I saw made in the 90s.

In conclusion, I don't really like it. It will be difficult to convince anyone its real as its so far out of the norm and without precedent. More research is needed, I wouldn't write it off just yet. Best ABN