• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 27Division18

27Division18
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,543
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

Did US Marines use USN marked equipment during WW2, like machetes, combat knives etc, or exclusively USMC gear?

#2 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 94,991
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:32 PM

They used any gear they could get their hands on, in about every combination imaginable - including Army equipment. Early island campaigns were conducted using WWI ‘03 Springfield rifles and M1917 helmets. I knew a 1st MARDIV veteran personally that wore a USN M41 jacket on Okinawa. He said when they would rotate ‘off the line’, they would “go shopping” in the pile of clothing and gear outside the field hospital, and wore whatever fit.

#3 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,543 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

They used any gear they could get their hands on, in about every combination imaginable - including Army equipment. Early island campaigns were conducted using WWI ‘03 Springfield rifles and M1917 helmets. I knew a 1st MARDIV veteran personally that wore a USN M41 jacket on Okinawa. He said when they would rotate ‘off the line’, they would “go shopping” in the pile of clothing and gear outside the field hospital, and wore whatever fit.

+1

I knew a paramarine who served later on Iwo.He wore a set of Army issue two buckle combat boots.He loved them.Said he would "trade" or "borrow" to get a set when ever he could.He hated the leggings and said the two buckles were the closet thing he could get to the issue jump boots he had when in the para marines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users