B-17 decals?

AZPhil

Hello Everybody. I am going to build a 1/64th scale B-17 Flying Fortress that I would like to make it look like the B-17 that my Uncle Joe was a tailgunner on and also shot down in. I am looking for decals that would make it like the 384th BG 545th BS. B-17's.

So a P in a triangle for the tail and also the the correct tail number and side markings. Is there a place that sells these types of decals?

I appreciate any and all help given

Semper Fi

Phil

5thwingmarty

Are you really building a 1/64th scale plane? I would suggest using a standard 1/144, 1/72 or 1/48 scale kit. Minicraft has a 1/144 scale kit with 384th BG 545th BS decals.

My kids bought it for me when I quit drinking. They thought I could use something to do in my spare time. Which was a good idea.

I used to build model when I was young. Those were 1/72 . What is wrong with 1/64th?

That 1/144th sounds like I would need a magnifying glass and tweezers to build. But if they have 384th BG 545th BS I might take a look at those.

Thanks for chiming in. Its been over 40 years since I've built a model and I could use all the help I can get.

Semper Fi

Phil

Sounds like they got you the classic Lindbergh model of the B-17G. I built that one as a kid. Nothing wrong with it. Finding decals to fit to scale might be a problem however

Sounds like they got you the classic Lindbergh model of the B-17G. I built that one as a kid. Nothing wrong with it. Finding decals to fit to scale might be a problem however

Yes Sir. That's the one! I'll have to check out the local hobby shop and see what other options I have.

Thanks Guy;s

Semper Fi

Phil

Robswashashore

I build a lot of models for units that aren't the ones that the kit comes with...

I have had pretty good luck in making my own decals using blank sheets available at the local hobby store and my ink jet printer. A triangle is usually easy to find in the word processing software, as are the appropriate type faces. Also then if the scale is a not a common one, you can adjust it before printing. I usually do that by eye by looking at period photos.

Apparently there were different markings depending on the time for the 384th BG. http://www.384thbombgroup.com/_content/_pages/markings.php

Here is a photo of some 545th BS Forts..

post-12350-0-43903200-1531607479_thumb.jpeg

Jean

That is a GREAT SITE!! I entered combat data from microfilm copies of the original loading list to the sites database. The date the "Mrs Geezil" was shot down is April 13th 1944. So green top with grayish blue bottom. These are some of the partial pic's and I have another but its a head on shot and you can't make out any marking. But I do know the Squadron ID letters and the tail number

https://photos.384thbombgroup.com/index.php?/category/G42-38112

Thanks for those tips. I appreciate all this help.

Semper Fi

Phil