KOREAN WAR ERA USMC WEAPON QUALIFICATION BADGES?

Bellumbill

Hello all -

Quick question I am restoring a KW marine's Ike jacket greens - according to his records from NPRC he received a "marksman badge with rifle bar" and "expert badge with carbine bar". So, what exactly am I looking to find here to complete his uniform? I clearly do not know enough about these badges. He got out in 1952.

I would appreciate any help! Very best regards,

Bill K.

I am also looking for a "Sharpshooter badge with Carbine bar" from the same era.

-Seth

Hello,

During the Korean War time frame the Marine Corps had four different rifle qualification badges.

1) Expert Rifleman Badge

2) Sharpshooter Badge

3) Marksman Bar

4) U. S. Marine Corps Basic Qualification Badge

The Basic Qualification Badge had a variety bars that would be attached by small rings between the top bar and the badge. Marine Corps qualification bars typically had an abbreviated qualification level followed by the weapon (i.e. EX - CARBINE, EX. T.S.M.G., EX. BAYONET, EX-PISTOL, SS - PISTOL, S.S. RIFLE). Marines did however wear Army style bars that had just the weapon name and no qualification level.

The Marine Corps also had a Pistol Expert Badge. Additionally, they may have had a Pistol Sharpshooter Badge, but it may have been unofficial.

Guys thank you! So this is what I think for the Expert Carbine badge, minus the other weapons bars - Am I correct? Best regards, Bill K.

post-661-0-98725400-1531420940_thumb.jpg

Bill,

Yes in your first picture that badge minus the other bars would work. It would also be correct with a bar EX-CARBINE or EX. CARBINE.

Your second photo shows a badge that is too modern for the Korean War. You are looking for a badge that just says "MARKSMAN" with a small multi-ring target on either side of word. Nothing hangs down from the badge. E-Bay has plenty of examples.

Bruce

Bruce -

Thank you for the information! Not disputing you, I am sure your are correct, just curious as his records specifically mention "marksman badge with rifle bar". I guess that's just military records for you?

Best,

Bill

Bill,

Where did your information come? I would be surprised if the marksmanship qualifications are listed that way on the pages of his actual service record. If the information came off the cover sheet that the NPRC in St. Louis sends out then you have to remember you are getting second hand information from a government clerk who doesn't really know the difference between Marine Corps and Army, let alone their shooting badges. I'm sure they all have a cheat sheet to help them in their job. Just my thoughts.

Semper Fi,

Bruce

Bruce -

I think you are correct. Since he stayed in the USMC reserves until 1959 I cannot get his official records, so just the generic sheet from NPRC.

Seems the "Ex/Expert-Carbine" bars are tough to find?

Thanks for your help, I will affix the appropriate badges now.

Very best,

Bill

Bruce is absolutely correct on this. I was a Marksman in 1956 and was awarded the MM Bar. (Missed SS by 1 point and it really pissed me off! LOL) By the time I came in Sept 56, the Basic Badge was no longer being awarded but was worn by the old salts, I believe. Semper Fi........Bob

Justin,

I have the marksman bar for cheap if your interested. Just drop me a pm if interested.

Alex