• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,934
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:58 AM

I bought this this morning at a used/consignment shop next to where I eat breakfast.  It is a very light material and patch on left pocket has almost all the threads in its design pulled or raveled out.  I can see remains of stitching where insignia/patch/? above the pocket and shoulder have been removed.  Looks like a name printed in black and small letters on top edge of pocket flap but I can not read it (may not be English).    No tags or labels are present.  Looks like something was on the inside back lower neck area.  A couple of small holes and tear on cuff.  I took lots of pics.  What is it?  If VN period a fair (for me and dealer/collector) value.  Thanks in advance.  Richard

Attached Images

• P1010001 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010002 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010003 - Copy.JPG
  • P1010004 - Copy.JPG

#2 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

more pics  RLM

P1010005 - Copy.JPG P1010006 - Copy.JPG P1010007 - Copy.JPG P1010009 - Copy.JPG P1010010 - Copy.JPG

#3 MilitaryPicker1941

MilitaryPicker1941
  • Members
    • Member ID: 111,785
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:07 AM

Looks like an original VMMC tiger jacket

#4 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 15,174 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

The patch was Newport Harbor security.

#5 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

The patch was Newport Harbor security.

Now I'm REALLY Confused ?   Richard

#6 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 32,190 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

http://720mpreunion....port_docks.html

During the war tigers were sourced and worn by anyone who could.

Just because its a VNMC cut pattern doesn't mean it was specific to the Viet Marines.

#7 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 32,190 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

From the website....

Editors Note: I have received numerous inquiries about the origin of the name of the complex. Many of the permanent bases, or other U.S. Miilitary built installations were first named for fallen U.S. Military heroes, and as Vietnamization took precedence, many of the names were changed to Vietnamese origin. This time, the Army kept it simple. The name for the complex was just that, the "New Port" they built.

Editors Note: I have received numerous inquiries about the origin of the name of the complex. Many of the permanent bases, or other U.S. Military built installations were first named for fallen U.S. Military heroes, and as Vietnamization took precedence, many of the names were changed to Vietnamese origin. This time, the Army kept it simple. The name for the complex was just that, the "New Port" they built.

Edited by doyler, 11 July 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#8 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

They had also had a Army solid Green jacket with a good New Port patch and a khaki shirt.  Should I have bought them?  So if I understand these were made and worn in Country?  I had no idea they could go together and were VN era.  Richard

Edited by suwanneetrader, 11 July 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#9 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 32,190 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Yes and yes

Depends on what the khaki shirt was.Did it have the vets insignias or stripped?... if stripped it's just a plain tan shirt. The other shirt what was on it?? was his name tag there? If so if the other patch was intact with other insignias it would document the shirt that you have now.

Edited by doyler, 11 July 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#10 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

It was just a low end Misc type shop used clothes furniture appliances etc.  I will buy anything that he has that came from same house that might be military and post here tonight or tomorrow.   Live and learn :blink:

Richard

#11 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 32,190 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

It was just a low end Misc type shop used clothes furniture appliances etc.  I will buy anything that he has that came from same house that might be military and post here tonight or tomorrow.   Live and learn :blink:

Richard

Sometimes its ok to buy it all and sometimes not.I have found some items are way over valued but if its part of the group or adds to it then I buy it all and typically Im not buying just because it "may have" value or profit.I buy it because I like it.We all have our certain areas that trip our triggers and we all have stuff we have accumulated and have lost interest in or change focus.Selling/trading is a good thing.THe items get into anothers hands who could use them and buying/selling items also gets items into the market where the item can be added to a collection etc 

Granted things do dictate I sell items at times and Im thinning out as time permits,interest change etc.....Way to much stuff and I don't want to have someone end up with it that cant or wont deal with the collection if that makes sense.

#12 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

I went back and got the other 2 pieces.  He thinks there is a dress uniform jacket with some insignia and his name.  I will stop back in the shop after breakfast in the morning and check.  I will now add new photos.  The shirt has had another pocket patch and name tab removed.  The utility shirt has had tab strips over each pocket removed and I'm not sure what ssi is.   Richard

P1010015 - Copy.JPG P1010016 - Copy.JPG P1010017 - Copy.JPG P1010018 - Copy.JPG P1010019 - Copy.JPG

#13 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

more pics  RLM

P1010020 - Copy.JPG P1010021 - Copy.JPG P1010022 - Copy.JPG P1010023 - Copy.JPG

#14 Austin R

Austin R
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,120
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

That khaki shirt is killer

#15 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the help.   I'm trying to determine what I want to ask.  I do want to sell  the Tiger stripe and the Khaki shirt with the complete Newport Security Force Patch together.  I see Tiger stripe priced all over the place.  I never expect top dollar but as my sales help me to collect the older USMC items I try to get 60 - 70% of going retail.  If I find out I will move items to FS section and let couple of others know.  Thanks for interest.  A ball park value would be very helpful. Richard

#16 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

I'm moving the khaki shirt with the complete Newport Security Force Patch and the utility shirt with tab strips over each pocket removed and I think the  ssi is for a Armored Unit and even tho Thrift Shop says all came from same house it probably did not belong to VN Security Vet. So both go to FS or Trade section.  Thanks for all the info and interest.  Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users