Questions M125 Carrier, Mortar, 81-MM

MECHINF-A15

MECHINF-A15

Question # 1

Does anyone produce a conversion kit for the M125 in 1/35th scale?

Question # 2

Does anyone know of a surviving M125 in a museum or private collection?

I would like to build my platoon by converting the Tamiya M106A1s.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

post-169074-0-16531000-1531258406.jpg

Proud Kraut

Mike,

I also did some online research but came up with nothing. There seems to be no conversion kit available (online). The only similar mortar in 1/35 scale that I found is part of a Britsh FV432 kit :

https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-complete-kits/k132

I don't know if it is the same turntable but for sure it won't be cheap to buy a couple of these to build your whole platoon.

Lars

MECHINF-A15

Lars,

Thank you for the info. Strangely, the M125 was far more numerous (one platoon per each Mech. Inf. Company) than the M106. At the end of the VN war the U.S. Army converted all M125s into M106s (greater range). There may not be any surviving examples to get measurements from but I keep hoping one might show up.

All the best,

Mike

• 3 years later...
On 7/11/2018 at 8:57 PM, MECHINF-A15 said:

Lars,

Thank you for the info. Strangely, the M125 was far more numerous (one platoon per each Mech. Inf. Company) than the M106. At the end of the VN war the U.S. Army converted all M125s into M106s (greater range). There may not be any surviving examples to get measurements from but I keep hoping one might show up.

All the best,

Mike

Hello, do you still need a surviving m125? 

Linedoggie
On 7/10/2018 at 5:34 PM, MECHINF-A15 said:

Question # 1

Does anyone produce a conversion kit for the M125 in 1/35th scale?

Question # 2

Does anyone know of a surviving M125 in a museum or private collection?

I would like to build my platoon by converting the Tamiya M106A1s.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

post-169074-0-16531000-1531258406.jpg

I used the Platform mounting from an Italeri 1/35th USMC LAV mortar carrier to my Tamiya M106. I had to scratch the ammo storage and other details

• 1 year later...

We still had the 81mm M125A2 Mortar Carriers in the Rifle Companies of the Berlin Brigade during my first tour of duty there Feb 89 to Dec 90, with 4.2in M106A2 in the Combat Support Company CSC.  We still had the M901 ITV in the CSC, too.  

I went back after the Wall was down, Oct 92 to Jun 94, the Brigade was transitioned to a semi-light/motorized Infantry unit, but still had the 81mm but the UK M252 Improved 81mm Mortar System x 3 in each Rifle Company, with an M1025/M1026 HMMWV to transport.   But most of the time since we were supporting Light Platoons, we humped the 81s while attached to the line platoons.     The HHC had 6x `120mm Mortars towed behind M998s

Differences between the M125 and the M106, the M125 turn table was capable of 360 degrees movement, the M106 turn table had stops that limited it to about 90 or 120 degrees total arc.    The M125 had steel box on the top deck for the M29's mortar bipod and a clamped bracket for the baseplate.   The round stowage bins inside on the curb side were shorter for the 81mm tootsie roll tubes, and the ready rack/WP (stored vertically) between the fuel tank and battery box were smaller diameter to fit the 81mm tootsie roll tubes.   The M106 had the base plate and bridge stowage on the curbside side wall and the rotator was on the curb side rear fender end.  The M125 had an elevated platform for mounting the mortar to keep the muzzle above the triple hatch opening for hearing protection and safety of the crew.   The M125 used a separate "standard" in place of the M29's bipod, it had 3 sets of notches broken down to about 0800 mills, 0900 mills and 1100 miles elevation (high medium and low elevation)   

There would be plastic/poly tubing over the mortar hatch chains that connected the front and rear locking catches, so you could release both  catches by pulling down on the chain near the center, starting with the center hatch that flipped over to lock on the outside of the curbside outer hatch, then you'd pull the chain for that curb side hatch then flip it over to lock onto the roof deck while an ammo bearer popped the street side hatch and flipped it over.  If you didn't forcibly open the center hatch, it wouldn't lock to the outer hatch, it would swing over the side of the track when you opened the outer hatch, then you'd have to dick with it in order to button up the hatches.  Each crewmember had specific tasks to set the mortar into position from the buttoned up condition, we would practice it repetitively, each 11C had to qualify on the mortar system so the crew rotated through duty positions during training.   

The Mortar is one of the few weapon systems you don't actually fire in order to get your qualification badge/bar on your Marksman, Sharpshooter or Expert Rifle Qualifcation Badge.  You could also qualify with the M1911 (then M9), M2HB, M16 and M203 (and even a Winchester 12 Shotgun sometimes), while assigned to a Mech Mortar Platoon.