• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,843
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

I picked up this Minor Surgery Kit awhile back.  It's all complete except for one set of Hemostats or Kelly clamps and a small thin probe that goes a the bottom.  The 2 hemostats, and scissors in the kit are marked WECK.  The Forceps are marked HACKENSACK and the scalpel handle is marked BARD PARKER Made in USA

The front of the kit is marked:

SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS KIT MINOR SURGERY

9-577-650

The inside flap is marked:

EDWARD WECK & COMPANY, INC

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, U.S.A.

Can any of you guys determine the vintage/age of this kit?  I think it's Korea, early VN vintage. However, because of the lack of an FSN or NSN is it possible this is WWII vintage?

Also if anyone has the 2 missing pieces that they might like to sell or trade, please PM me.  Whatever the age of this kit I would like to find the other pieces to complete the set.  

Thanks

Dennis

Attached Images

• Surgical kit cover.jpg

#2 crashdive

crashdive
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157,619
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Hi Dennis,
I have a very similar kit. I always thought it was VN vintage. Ill have to pull itnok and take another look and compare to yours. Thanks for posting.
Andy

#3 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:29 PM

It's a nice kit and under the flap is a brown envelope of black Sutures, Sizes 00-1-3.  This Suture package has a stock number of 3-767-980.

You can see the spaces for the missing hemostat and the probe or whatever it is at the bottom.

Attached Images

• Surgical Kit.jpg

#4 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

This is the hemostat in the kit.  It's marked WECK.  I would like to find another pair with the same maker mark.

Attached Images

• kellys.jpg

#5 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

The Sutures, the Curved Surgical needles and a blade for the Scalpel.

Attached Images

• Sutures.jpg

#6 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

Andy, I would appreciate seeing your kit.  I always thought this was VN too, but there are no FSNs or NSNs.  Hopefully one of our Medically savvy guys will know.

#7 Survival

Survival
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,413
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

They started switching to FSN #s in the late 1950's or so.  This one still could have been used in Vietnam as new old stock

#8 crashdive

crashdive
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157,619
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

Dennis,

I will take pictures of my kit and post them (likely this weekend). Meanwhile Larry and Terrie Stewart have a similar kit list for sale on the site at the moment. They ID it as post WWII. here is the link: https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com/equipment-us-us-post-wwii-medical-surgical-kit-and-contents.45773.10.military-antiques 

#9 29navy

29navy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 913
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

This to post WWII.  The stock number shows up in the 1947 Army-Navy Medical Catalog. It was previously the US Navy's Case, Pocket - Stock number 3-045.  But when the Army and Navy combined their medical supplies as part of the formation of the National Military Establishment in 1947. later to be called Department of Defense.

Now how far Post WWII? don't know. As mentioned, prior to the establishment of FSN/NSNs.

#10 29navy

29navy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 913
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Sorry, didn't finish my thought. The kit was assigned the stock number 9-577-650 when the two services catalogs were combined.

#11 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

29, thanks for the information. I kind'a thought this was a post war kit.  And you're right, there is not telling how long this could have been lying on a shelf in a warehouse.  It probably is NOS there doesn't seem to be much wear to it.  

Thanks for the comments guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users