Navy Cross Action in WW1

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

post-3422-1302964806.jpg

post-3422-1302964814.jpg

After 2 months in a humidifier with the stretcher place after the first month.

Paint stabilizer brushed on fabric by conservator.

Notice the additional paint loss.

Belleauwood

post-3422-1302965086.jpg

The piece of fabric from the Ludlow group has much more detail to the crown than other images I seen. Special Maybe??

DJ

This is a great post! When I was in art school in Baltimore I stumbled on a forgotten little monument on the corner of Preston & Howard Streets that was in commemoration of Hammann and another Marylander who won the MOH in WWI. I was always fascinated by the seaplane story and it is a great treat to see so much associated with that incident on display here.

You can see a picture here:

http://monumentcity.net/2009/04/04/hammann...l-baltimore-md/

Dennis this is really impressive, I am so glad to get to see it, having heard so much about it. It is just a remarkable piece of U.S. Naval aviation history! You have really done justice to this group and it has a great home with you out east. I look forward to seeing this in person. Very remarkable, you should be proud of your hard work.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

A truly historic group which is unique from several aspects. One is the rare award of both the silver & bronze Al Valore Militare to a non-Italian. I was relieved to see that both the silver & bronze AVM had the proper official hallmarks on the obverse at 6 o'clock. These are the crowned Z place above the "F.G". The crown Z represents their being struck at the Italian Royal Mint in Rome. The F.G are the initials of Giuseppe Ferraris, who originally designed the gold & silver AVM in 1833. The bronze AVM was instituted later in 1887.

I was concerned initially because the bronze AVM shown in your first group photo on page 1 was a blank, unofficial, privately struck medal. For an award to a foreign officer serving in Italy, the official, hallmarked AVM would have been presented to him.

The War Merit Cross presents a problem since it is the Italian Republic issue with the "RI" initials on the reverse upper arm. This WMC variety was instituted after the Italian surrender to the Allies in 1943. Back in 1918, Ludlow would have received a WMC with the King's monogram "VEIII". There must have been a switch sometime after 1943, unless Ludlow actually got his WMC during WW2.

Belleauwood
A truly historic group which is unique from several aspects. One is the rare award of both the silver & bronze Al Valore Militare to a non-Italian. I was relieved to see that both the silver & bronze AVM had the proper official hallmarks on the obverse at 6 o'clock. These are the crowned Z place above the "F.G". The crown Z represents their being struck at the Italian Royal Mint in Rome. The F.G are the initials of Giuseppe Ferraris, who originally designed the gold & silver AVM in 1833. The bronze AVM was instituted later in 1887.

I was concerned initially because the bronze AVM shown in your first group photo on page 1 was a blank, unofficial, privately struck medal. For an award to a foreign officer serving in Italy, the official, hallmarked AVM would have been presented to him.

The War Merit Cross presents a problem since it is the Italian Republic issue with the "RI" initials on the reverse upper arm. This WMC variety was instituted after the Italian surrender to the Allies in 1943. Back in 1918, Ludlow would have received a WMC with the King's monogram "VEIII". There must have been a switch sometime after 1943, unless Ludlow actually got his WMC during WW2.

Tom, Thanks for the detailed information. I believe that a couple of these items were later additions by Ludlow. There were 2 different people that Mrs. Ludlow parceled Mr. Ludlow's artifacts to after his death. The largest portion of documents and the engraved medals went one way and later his Id booklets, bullion wing, BB&B wing, War Cross and the privately struck medal that you refer to was in a box in the Ludlow basement. That would also include one of the BB&B Navy Crosses. My guess is that he purchased a few duplicates during his tenure in WW2 since is was at this time he made application for his Purple Heart. Certainly just a guess by me, and one will most likely never know for sure. Hammann was awarded the Silver Valor medal as well.

Thanks again,

Dennis Jackson

Dennis: a couple of minor points I forgot to explain. The "Z" of the crowned Z hallmark indicates "zecca" or mint. Also the Italians always put the surname ahead of the Christian name, so Giuseppe Ferraris' inititials appear as "F.G" I don't recall, but the Italian certificates probably have Ludlow written ahead of his personal names. And the "RI" on the War Merit Cross indicates "repubblica italiana", which government forced the Italian monarchy into exile. You can easily obtain a WW1 version WMC to represent Ludlow's original award.

This keeps getting beter and better. The only way it could get any better is if you pull out his MOH and post it. Great, Great collection and posting.

4starchris

This keeps getting beter and better. The only way it could get any better is if you pull out his MOH and post it. Great, Great collection and posting.

4starchris

And then some "do-gooder" on the forum would report him to the FBI because of "stolen valor" and the next thing we know, the MOH is getting melted into some oddly distorted chunk of metal in order to keep it out of the hands of evil collectors.

Sad, but true.

Even more sad, is that the "do-gooder" would feel good and proud about the end result. Sickening. :pinch:

Now, back to the thread and this INCREDIBLE group!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dave

• 2 months later...
CNY Militaria

What a wonderful and unique group! I have very much enjoyed reading through this thread, and wish you well in your continued efforts to complete this group. Certainly museum quality, this could be the pinnacle of any collection :thumbsup:

Justin

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...