OIF 09-11 "trench art" wind chimes made by me

mmerc20

I found the "trench art" wind chimes I made in Iraq while going through some boxes and I wanted to post some pics. I had these hanging in my shop on the Basra flight line and is made with extra stuff from our Apaches.

The outer chimes are made of expended chaff tubes and the center piece is a 30mm shell. Inside that is a nut from a flight helmet to give it some more ring.

The suspension assembly I am quite proud of. It is from 4 modified mic booms from the flight helmets. I totally forgot I had this and need to hang it in my garage soon!

Mike

post-3373-0-09985500-1531193056.jpeg

post-3373-0-06033500-1531193066.jpeg

post-3373-0-86714600-1531193073.jpeg

Thats cool

Local guy makes chimes.He is a 11th ACR vet who served in Vietnam.

He has made a couple out of shell casings.

Also has done several military themed ones with a kids plastic jeep or a tank etc with steel conduit for the chimes.

I'll chime in here to say that is neat! And you have a great story to go along with it. I'm glad you posted it.

Mikie

Brian Keith

That is VERY COOL! When I was in Afghanistan (2012-13) we could not bring any type of shell casing back. I doubt the chaff dispensers would have been allowed.

Thanks for posting it. I would recommend documenting it so it doesn't get tossed it the trash at some point. Trench Art has a long history, real modern theatre-made items are very uncommon.

BKW

That is VERY COOL! When I was in Afghanistan (2012-13) we could not bring any type of shell casing back. I doubt the chaff dispensers would have been allowed.Thanks for posting it. I would recommend documenting it so it doesn't get tossed it the trash at some point. Trench Art has a long history, real modern theatre-made items are very uncommon.BKW

That is a great idea. Put some kind of tag on it with it's history. Sad that lots of cool old trench art have stories behind them that will never be known.

Mikie

I have pieces of an Iranian (yes Iranian, not Iraqi) plane I attached a story to the back with the plane's history and how I got it, but never thought of doing the same with this. Maybe I will. I need to go through my photo album and see if I have a picture of it hanging in my shop.

My dad used "extra" aircraft parts to make go-carts when he was an aviation machinist mate, but I don't think he ever ventured into cumshaw art.