Brig and Dirk's Excellent Adventure

Dirk

Today several of us had the opportunity to visit a few of the Marine Corps Museum Storage Annex's. The trip was originally set up to focus on some of their China Marine holdings, but soon was expanded to include a number of other artifacts in the collection. With the head curator and a legendary former head curator, we were given the opportunity to not only see a number of objects up close, but to also hear the stories behind how they acquired them. We also added a trip to the Globe and Laurel Restaurant where WW2 vet and owner Major Rick Spooner was able to come in and join us. Enjoy.

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG

Great pictures and some awesome items. Not to detract from the USMC items but just curious and fogive my ingnorance but what is the Japanese item in bin 6? Looks like a head wrap,the one with the aircraft printed on it.

everforward

Wow. I am just as impressed with their methods of artifact storage as much as what I’m looking at. Incredible stuff.

Amazing collection they have and we only looked at a few drawers and weapons racks.....I am not sure what the Japanese item is ...it was in one of the foreign flag drawers.

An assortment of riding britches and a bag Gen LeJune carried during the war, a fur cap, and a Iceland Seabag

IMG_5492.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5550.JPG

IMG_5503.jpg

WOW!! I'm speechless about those wonderful items. Now, having recovered my speech, would you please point out who is Brig and Dirk in the pictures, for those of us who have never actually met them?

Steve

Thanks for sharing these great photos - I made my first trip to the Old Museum at Quantico in 1974 and was impressed as to the care they took of these artifacts - again no disappointment - It's great how far the preservation methods have come along and great how the Marine Corps can educate others with their artifacts.

Bill

If you listen to the curators it was a long hard road to get to this stage.....for many years things were not always well cared for or catalogued.....but over the years they worked hard to provide a stable and secure environment for their holdings. The great thing is they allowed these items to be studied in a controlled environment which aids both the museum and the collecting community

ludwigh1980

General butler's uniforms....very nice. Interesting monogram collar devices. Rank has its privileges. Me likey very muchy. Thank you guys for posting these treasures.

Brig is that ugly SOB rocking his combat boots because he forgot to pack civie shoes today.

Dirk, a shame I had to miss the afternoon weapon assortment...but it won't be the last time you and me go off in pursuit of history together, I am sure. As I predicted...there were indeed helmet fires to put out at the office.

A fine group of gentlemen...passionate about their Marine Corps history! Couldn't have asked for better company. Major Spooner wanted me to come back this evening for a cigar and some history talk, but alas I wasn't able to make it...but I will certainly take him up on his offer before too long!

I assure you gentlemen, the Marine Corps takes care of its artifacts...fantastic conservation, cataloging, and accountability. And they are not only happy to share their treasures with historians and collectors...they are passionate to discuss it with you! I thoroughly enjoyed the excursion, and am happy to be able to pass on to General Butler's family the future plans to display the General's artifacts!

Outstanding, gents! Thank you for the pictorial tour. Fantastic relics! I'm jealous! Semper Fi.......Bob