Is this Ruler WW2 or other period?

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Just received this plotting ruler from a dealer on eBay who apparently has a few more. Since I am trying to complete my map case I thought It would be a nice accessory. So, is it WW2 and would it go in a Map/Dispatch Case?

Thanks!

1 of 2

post-17994-0-41570800-1531157295_thumb.jpg

For WWII I would go with something in yards. Most of the plotting material and maps are in yards. While some metric items could have been used almost if not all the items (rulers/plotting tools) I have routinely encountered were in yards. I wont be home for a couple of weeks to check my manuals and I have divested most of my maps and materials (to hard to display) . Maybe Robin will read the post. Coincidentally we started using metric items when NATO was established in 1949 which might have a correlation with the 49 in the PO.

• 3 months later...

I was thinking this may be an Engineers Field Sketch Table accessory, but didn't find it in my 1939 FM 21-35 SKETCHING manual. Nor was it in 1940 TM 5-235 SURVEYING manual, although it may have unofficially been part of the equipment. Soldiers often augmented their kit with items deemed necessary. Attached is a Sketch Table like I have.

post-186510-0-01374300-1539405176.jpg

Here's some of my manuals. On second thought the contract information may be 1960s or after. Someone else may know more.

post-186510-0-81453700-1539406626_thumb.jpg