Palco Visor

cerick1450

cerick1450

Hello

I just rec'd this visor from a vets family. Their father was in the European theater with Patton. Is this a ww2 area visor, or postwar?

Thank you

post-13198-0-80362100-1531021524_thumb.jpeg

cerick1450

It is in excellent shape, and named. I have covered over the name at family request. also, plastic shield area is a little sticky form I assume chemical deteriation over time, but stil completely intact...

Did he serve after WW2? Around 1947 or so, enlisted caps adopted the mohair band previously used only for officer's caps. So, it could be a late 1940's private purchase EM cap.

cerick1450

Well

According to his son-in-law he was discharged in 45. He was wounded and in european theater. I will call and get more information..

Did he serve after WW2? Around 1947 or so, enlisted caps adopted the mohair band previously used only for officer's caps. So, it could be a late 1940's private purchase EM cap.

Learn something new everyday, thanks.

The 1947 pattern EM visors did have the same cap band (mohair braid) that officer's caps did, but were made from a wool serge material that matched the Ike jacket. This isn't one of those. This cap's main body material looks to be fur felt with a lighter colored cap band and is most likely WW2 vintage.

Well. I talked to the vets son-in law, and he confirmed that his father-in-law was discharged in 1945. He also said that he was wounded in Europe and was in Patton's third army. He claims this was the Visor he came home with after discharge....

Thank you for the help

SocietyBrandHatCo

Your cap is actually a pre or early WWII officers service cap. Palco made very high quality caps. Yours should be fully lined, and if everyone will look closely the fur felt crown of the cap is only two pieces, instead of the customary 4 or 5. This gives it a very clean appearance with fewer seams. As Matt has mentioned, it isn’t unheard of for an EM to purchase an officer’s item, even if it was unusual.

Not unheard of for an EM to upgrade to an officer cap. Nice find.

+1..... not typical but not uncommon either for a vet to private purchase a cap. He may have liked a better quality cap so he purchased one over the issue Style. I have one or two in my collection that are a lightweight Crusher style cap with a gabardine top but with enlisted badge both right from veterans. They both are private purchase as well

Well. I talked to the vets son-in law, and he confirmed that his father-in-law was discharged in 1945. He also said that he was wounded in Europe and was in Patton's third army. He claims this was the Visor he came home with after discharge....

Thank you for the help

This makes sense as well if the vet was wounded spent any time in the hospital he more than likely did not have anything of his dress uniform items to wear after being discharged. Would make sense he probably went out and bought the cap for the trip home as by 1945 the bill or saucer cap wasn't a common item whereas more so the men were wearing overseas caps. Not that that is a blanket rule but a general observation from years of seeing items in Veteran's hands. Only other scenario would be if the man actually had another family member who had served in the military at the same time and the items possibly got mixed. But in this case I don't see that. I see an enlisted man who purchased or somehow obtained an officer's cap and put his Insignia on it. At times I think people try to put everything into a box or rationalize(over think) something it had to be this way or that way when reality shows us not everything goes by the rule or regulation. I can't count how many Marine Corps World War II covers I have had with gold side buttons and a green top. It doesn't fit the norm or the collector's box but that's how it was worn