Artillery Shells ID Needed

warpath

dave peifer

hi ed..............i'll give it a shot the first 3 are 105mm howitzer the top being a propaganda round w/time fuse,2&3 are he types w/pd fuzes and 4 looks to be a 76mm case.thats my best opinion from what I can see...……………..dave

hi ed..............i'll give it a shot the first 3 are 105mm howitzer the top being a propaganda round w/time fuse,2&3 are he types w/pd fuzes and 4 looks to be a 76mm case.thats my best opinion from what I can see.....dave

I see the same. The M14B1 casing should be laquered steel, ( check with magnet), the " P" 105 is painted as such however all your 105mm projectiles will have stampings just above the driving band- they will have the " M" number designating Type of projectile, casing lot, caliber and date. HE will be marked 105mm HE M1, not sure about the propaganda round, but it's base should be hollow, check the M number...they are fairly rare and considered cargo rounds. The P painted one may/ may not be authentic, the stamped M number will verify it is correct and not a repaint. The head case says it is loaded with an M84 projectile ( leaflet projectile or smoke), now make sure the projo is stamped M84 somewhere above the driving band to be correct- if so, you have a correct, complete leaflet round( or smoke) nice rarer piece.

Thanks for the help, harder than the ID is evaluating these for resale. I don't collect ordnance, these are part of a large US collection I just bought. Ed

The single case....76mm tank? Or possibly 75mm Skysweeper? Doesn't seem to be much of a headstamp, which would jive with a skysweeper case I would think more than a 76mm which I would figure would have a full headstamp?

Although it looks to be slightly long for a skysweeper...

I see the same. The M14B1 casing should be laquered steel, ( check with magnet), the " P" 105 is painted as such however all your 105mm projectiles will have stampings just above the driving band- they will have the " M" number designating Type of projectile, casing lot, caliber and date. HE will be marked 105mm HE M1, not sure about the propaganda round, but it's base should be hollow, check the M number...they are fairly rare and considered cargo rounds. The P painted one may/ may not be authentic, the stamped M number will verify it is correct and not a repaint. The head case says it is loaded with an M84 projectile ( leaflet projectile or smoke), now make sure the projo is stamped M84 somewhere above the driving band to be correct- if so, you have a correct, complete leaflet round( or smoke) nice rarer piece.

My Skysweeper case is 21 1/4" long, (on rt,) the one on the left is a 76mm Walker Bulldog tank round, both rounds considered rare.

post-180924-0-30100400-1531171065_thumb.jpeg

And the yellow ink stamping near the shell base. I do not have a 76mm M26 (?) case to measure...I would like to have a WW2 dated one.

post-180924-0-72560500-1531171287_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the help, harder than the ID is evaluating these for resale. I don't collect ordnance, these are part of a large US collection I just bought. Ed

We need to see what is stamped near the driving band for a positive ID. The 105mm are M1's, the one with "P" on it looks to be a repaint, possibly not what it is painted as. As for pricing, PM me for the current going rate, depends mostly on dates, Vietnam, Cold War era, etc....