War time cigarettes

Dogsbody

Thanks everyone for adding new items to this thread. It's always great to see them.

Here are some of my latest additions.

Ken, it seems that more cigarette packs from 1945 lacked the cellophane wrapper. The Raleigh pack on the left is from 1945 and also has no wrapper.

attachicon.gifSAM_6778a.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_6779a.jpg

Rene

post-169612-0-48231700-1567091684_thumb.jpg post-169612-0-68898900-1567091708_thumb.jpg

skypilot6670

Any one got a pack of Ruby Queens.They were one of the better Vietnamese smokes. That and Club 33 beer( tiger pi——). Fun memories 50 years on.

General Apathy

Hi all, one of the things I like to collect are war time cigarettes (commercial or the ones especially for the army). To start things off here are my Lucky Strike packs so far.

I invite everyone to add their cigarettes. Maybe we can start some sort of reference thread. So please post them , if you've got them :)

attachicon.gifSAM_3688a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_3690a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, well here is a very unusual pack of ' Old Gold ' I have shown the brand name in the attached photo, however it is the interesting message on the rear which I will add later, a friend just arrived . . . . . . . .

regards lewis

.post-344-0-27251000-1567173090_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, well here is a very unusual pack of ' Old Gold ' as you will see the pack is marked ' trick cigarette packet ' and obviously the clockwork winding mechanism that can be seen, when placed on a flat surface the packet slides across the surface. . . . . . . . . . . .

regards lewis

.post-344-0-57290100-1567204957_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, well here is a very unusual pack of ' Old Gold ' as you will see the pack is marked ' trick cigarette packet ' and obviously the clockwork winding mechanism that can be seen, when placed on a flat surface the packet slides across the surface. . . . . . . . . . . .

regards lewis

.post-344-0-57290100-1567204957_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

HI Ken,

Great example! I haven't seen one similar to that in years!

Regards,

Hi Rusty, thanks, it is slightly unusual.

I just ran through this thread from the start again, the first couple of pages all the photographs have around a hundred downloads per photo, the next couple of pages the downloads are in the fifties, then tailing down to singular figures.

I have a busy day today but perhaps tomorrow I will add some more images as I would like to see this thread continue its an interesting topic.

regards lewis.

Hi Rene, well here is a very unusual pack of ' Old Gold ' I have shown the brand name in the attached photo, however it is the interesting message on the rear which I will add later, a friend just arrived . . . . . . . .

regards lewis

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2359.jpeg

Hi Ken, thanks for adding some interesting packages. At first glance I thought this was one of those spy (camera hiding) packages but upon closer inspection it appears to be something quite different.

Rene

Hi Rusty, thanks, it is slightly unusual.

I just ran through this thread from the start again, the first couple of pages all the photographs have around a hundred downloads per photo, the next couple of pages the downloads are in the fifties, then tailing down to singular figures.

I have a busy day today but perhaps tomorrow I will add some more images as I would like to see this thread continue its an interesting topic.

regards lewis.

I noticed that too, Ken...…..but I'm also for continuing this thread so here's another contribution:

post-169612-0-95941200-1567946072_thumb.jpg

Packages left to right: 1940 opened but filled with modern day filterless cigarettes, full 1941 package, full 1942 package.

Top: 1942 fifties carton pack (unfortunately empty ^_^ )

Rene

General Apathy

I noticed that too, Ken...…..but I'm also for continuing this thread so here's another contribution:

attachicon.gifSAM_7406a.jpg

Packages left to right: 1940 opened but filled with modern day filterless cigarettes, full 1941 package, full 1942 package.

Top: 1942 fifties carton pack (unfortunately empty ^_^ )

Rene

Hi Rene, I was hoping to have time today to photograph packets of cigarettes, the day didn't work out as I was hoping so I only had time to photograph these six cigarette papers, all believed to be no later than WWII the half & half possibly even earlier.

lewis.

.post-344-0-61601800-1568046417.jpeg

regards lewis

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_235a.jpeg

That is neat! The best cigarettes are the ones you can't smoke!

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Rene, shown here are two packs of Japanese Mikasa cigarettes allowing front and rear of the outer pack, and front and rear of the inserts.

I featured this packet as during WWI Japan assisted the Allies fight against Germany by patrolling the Pacific and deterring German shipping.

This pack could possibly date anywhere between 1900 and 1918 and theoretically anytime up until December 1941 due to the actual manufacturing of the cigarettes being undertaken in either Cairo or Malta which I surmise would have finished once war was declared between the USA and Japan in 1941.

The dreadnought style ship on the front of the packet is the Imperial Japanese ship the Mikasa, built for Japan in the United Kingdom in 1890, this battleship fought in the Russo-Japanese war of 1904 - 1905.

I have not managed to obtain a translation of the Japanese writing on the rear, ( maybe a forum member could help with that )

regards lewis

.post-344-0-17195200-1568110620_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene & fellow members interested in this cigarette thread, below is an interesting website dedicated to revenue stamps etc on American cigars and cigarettes. Short quote from the website link below.

" the right stamp is one of the John Quincy Adams type that was run in a series beginning with 110 in 1940 and continuing through 125 in 1955, with several values being used into 1958. "

http://rdhinstl.com/taxpaid.htm

regards Lewis.

General Apathy

Hi Rene, here is my 1941 ( 111 ) packet of Philip Morris, it is signed across the front ' Best wishes Johnny Morris ' I believe this to be the son of Philip Morris who signed the packet up for a veteran that I received the packet from . . . . . The cigarettes are packed in an early thicker ' leaded ' version of the tin-foil wrapper.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-43014400-1568112208.jpeg

Hi Ken, thanks for keeping things going here with some very nice additions. I really like the Japanese ciggies. Quite unique.

@ Mikie: thanks for your support. It's always appreciated :).

Rene

IMG_4327_JPG-1091017.jpg
IMG_4328_JPG-1091018.jpg
IMG_4329_JPG-1091019.jpg

i can't find reference to 10 packs of cigarettes anywhere other than 10-in-1 rations. can anybody confirm that this is the case or were they used elsewhere?

General Apathy

Hi Rene, here's a packet of cigarettes I obtained from a WWII U.S. veteran, he hung onto them as they were not a regular pack and a fun item he picked up back them.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-77173500-1568800888_thumb.jpg

Hi Rene, here's a packet of cigarettes I obtained from a WWII U.S. veteran, he hung onto them as they were not a regular pack and a fun item he picked up back them.

regards lewis.

.attachicon.gifpost-344-1284973134.jpg

:D He probably kept them for that special aroma...…

Rene

People may not be looking at this thread much now. But sure as shooting, someone down the years will look for information on these things and find all this documentation you are putting up. It's happened to me several times on this forum, finding answers to my question in 7 or 8 year old posts. You are doing a service to history! And I'm not just blowing smoke about it.

Mikie

Ruby Queens a favorite with ARVN and locals I worked with. This pack was printed by psy ops (psychological operations) fo Chu hoi (surrender) purposes I think.Not sure how it translates. English made , not a bad smoke but very strong if I remember correctly. Mikepost-137056-0-02081600-1569234066.jpeg