102 Division Bronze Star recipient grouping!

WWIIBuff1945

WWIIBuff1945

Just picked up this amazing grouping on eBay of a 102nd Division Sergeant who received a bronze star for rushing and destroying a machine gun nest! Enjoy!

post-158759-0-75867300-1530824603_thumb.jpgpost-158759-0-93584100-1530824950_thumb.jpgpost-158759-0-65672800-1530825237.jpg

Hummm- I have seen a similar type of engraving on other medals - it is definitely not official. At one time a similar type of engraving was associated with some rip off military seller. The other parts of your grouping are really nice.

Hummm- I have seen a similar type of engraving on other medals - it is definitely not official. At one time a similar type of engraving was associated with some rip off military seller. The other parts of your grouping are really nice.

I have to admit...I also thought BOBVN when I saw that engraving. That was/is his MO...add an engraved medal to some paper or dog tag.

WWIIBuff1945

Damn.... Yes its Bob alright! Thanks for the heads up guys. I thought the engraving looked a little thick. I still think its a nice grouping and I'm going to keep it.

He has some other groupings for sale which I will now pass on them now. I found this interesting article on fake engraved medals:

http://www.purplehearts.net/id8.html

WWIIBuff1945

Emailed Bob with comments from this thread and my concerns and his response was :

"I bought that grouping many years ago at a military show. I am no expert on engraving so it may have been privately done. I will make good on anything that I sell if you are worried about it.
Bob"

At least he is offering to let me return it. I paid $130 for the grouping. I still think its cool even without the medal isue. What are your thoughts guys??

Thanks

The citation is a nice one for valor vice meritorious service and appears to be original. That said, given the seller's track record, you have to assume that the patch and photo do not really belong in the group and of course the medal is basically fake. I would also check the document and photo carefully to make sure they are original. A black light is good for this. I don't think the photo belongs in that card frame, given the fact that the image is far larger than the opening, so I'm suspicious of it. Come to think of it, I would also want a better look at the dog tags. These are also faked. Some of his fake groups are quite elaborate. Bottom line: if you trust him to give a refund, that's what I would do. Its not a $130 group IMO...

ps..there are number of forum threads about his wares if you do a search.

WWIIBuff1945

The citation is a nice one for valor vice meritorious service and appears to be original. That said, given the seller's track record, you have to assume that the patch and photo do not really belong in the group and of course the medal is basically fake. I would also check the document and photo carefully to make sure they are original. A black light is good for this. I don't think the photo belongs in that card frame, given the fact that the image is far larger than the opening, so I'm suspicious of it. Come to think of it, I would also want a better look at the dog tags. These are also faked. Some of his fake groups are quite elaborate. Bottom line: if you trust him to give a refund, that's what I would do. Its not a $130 group IMO...

ps..there are number of forum threads about his wares if you do a search.

Kadet,

I appreciate your thoughts on this group. I gave the photo and frame a closer look and noticed a recent staple holding the picture to the frame. Looking inside at the back of the photo I can see its a modern reprint and not a vintage photo. The tags have rust on them and not that I have a lot of experience with WWII dog tags .... but arent they made of aluminum?? If so, why would they rust unless they were made to look vintage and a caustic substance was put on them. The group is going back!! '

WWIIBuff1945

Filed a return with eBay and will get a refund. There are many threads about Bob. He recently sold a 10 mountain grouping for $635.

I guess it pays to check out a seller before you buy! I learned my lesson on this one. Thanks again guys!

WWIIBuff1945

Thanks its already packaged with a return label attached and will be in the mail tomorrow.

I really would like to find a similar grouping but i'm leery about all the fakes out there now!

• 9 months later...
WWIIBuff1945
Skysoldier80

So the real question is does IMA know the back story? I thought that they sold legit stuff; just way overpriced! So is this a warning to be careful when buying from them or a case to just know what your buying?

WWIIBuff1945

I got a response from the email and it said management was going to be advised of the situation. Well, they are still selling it but dropped the price from $450 to $350.

I told them to check the photo and its clearly a modern printed copy. Buyer beware.

WWIIBuff1945

Someone bought it today!!! I spoke to IMA yesterday and all my concerns were dismissed. Their experts said it was legit. I hope the new owner enjoys his grouping!!!

Skysoldier80

Well confirms my suspicion with that greed always prevails. Sad, I actually thought their stuff they sold was legit.

Someone bought it today!!! I spoke to IMA yesterday and all my concerns were dismissed. Their experts said it was legit. I hope the new owner enjoys his grouping!!!