I hope they found peace.

caseloadr

Sunday a friend of my son took his own life. This young man had 2 tours of Afghanistan with my son while members of 2nd BN 0f the 504. This was the 3-4 of his friends to have done this. I don't understand the reason for this but is a horrible trend. It affects friends and family no matter what the reason. I hope they have peace now. I pray that someday some place someone finds the answer and ends this terrible trend.

Kurt Barickman

Sir, I am so sorry for your loss. I know that when the state sends young people to do abnormal things and that we as a society expect them to return to ¨the world" and to be ¨normal¨ we as a nation should honor their sacrifice but we need to be more honest about helping our veterans with their psychological health. Also we need to help the military to train our service members that to ask for mental help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. I think that our collective memory/conventionalwisdom believes that our veterans from earlier wars didn¨t need psychological help but that is a romanticized myth. Again, you have my sympathies and lets hope our veterans are able to ask for help and our VA and society is more willing to reach out and help these young warriors.

Kurt

BILL THE PATCH

Sorry for your son's loss, let's hope these vets get the help they deserve. RIP

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear it. It happens way too much. The world is just a difficult place to live in and it isn't getting better. I join you hoping he has found peace. Still his love ones and family will not.

Hard issue to get our hands around as Veterans but I pray that we do. Part of it is recognizing it and helping each other. Semper Fidelis.

My sincere apologies for this horrible loss. I was in OIFI.

My only son has 37 months in combat between two tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan.

May God rest his soul

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

VR

Bill

Sorry for son's loss. The problem is that the military doesn't prepare you for going back to civilian life. You're trained to be a soldier, to deploy, to think that you are invincible, and that anything less is unacceptable. Mental health is a weakness you don't talk with anyone about. You do your job, deal with it and move on, and suddenly you're out in society where no one gives two s hits about you. Who do you talk to? The VA a month later? You can't talk to your family, because they don't understand. You're brothers (and sisters) are still in the military hours and hundreds or thousands of miles away. That is the problem.

ColBill, I'm sorry for your loss