Underwater Modeling?

Brig

world war I nerd

Here are three "epic" water dioramas that were captured from a short YouTube video. The dioramas were built by a Korean model builder by the name of Lee Won-hui.

By the way, the video is in the Korean language. However, if you click the CC (closed captions) tab in the lower right hand corner, English subtitles will appear. I'll put a link to the video after the three pics.

No 1. Underwater diorama of an exploding U-Boat.

post-5143-0-14583000-1531179808_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

No. 2. The same diorama from a different angle. Note that a second torpedo is passing over the exploding submarine.

post-5143-0-67776200-1531179989_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Garandomatic, you're right. He had an idea and stuck with it until he got it right. That is something to be admired.

I think it was Thomas Edison who said (I'm paraphrasing):

"I didn't fail to make the light bulb 1,000 times; I learned how to not make the light bulb 999 times."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

This isn't really undewater modelling, but it's a very effective and incredibly simple technique for creating an "on the water effect in miniature:

world war I nerd

This trio of screen saves from a YouTube video showing entries in the Scale Model world 2017 exhibition represent the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Lexington abandoning ship on May 8, 1942 during the battle of the Coral Sea.

On May 8, the "Lady Lex" had been hit by multiple torpedoes and bombs. However, it was a secondary internal explosion and the ensuing multiple fires that led to the call to abandon ship. With other U.S. ships standing by, 2,770 crewmen and officers were rescued, including the captain and the ship's mascot, 'Wags'. Despite the successful rescue of most of the Lexington's crew, 216 men were lost during the battle that took place some 500 miles off the coast of eastern Australia.

post-5143-0-11792700-1533942323_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

Here's another U.S. themed water diorama. Most of the water in this example was probably built up by applying various layers of acrylic gel medium (possibly over an armature made from clear plastic). The results are quite striking!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
RustyCanteen

This trio of screen saves from a YouTube video showing entries in the Scale Model world 2017 exhibition represent the crew of the aircraft carrier USS Lexington abandoning ship on May 8, 1942 during the battle of the Coral Sea.

On May 8, the "Lady Lex" had been hit by multiple torpedoes and bombs. However, it was a secondary internal explosion and the ensuing multiple fires that led to the call to abandon ship. With other U.S. ships standing by, 2,770 crewmen and officers were rescued, including the captain and the ship's mascot, 'Wags'. Despite the successful rescue of most of the Lexington's crew, 216 men were lost during the battle that took place some 500 miles off the coast of eastern Australia.

That is incredible!

RustyCanteen

Here's an amazing diorama showing the fate of the "Arizona". Sadly, I do not know the scale or who the modeler is.

I am pretty sure this was in the collection of a model museum (my understanding is that it closed up shop probably over ten years ago) called the "Miniature World Museum". It was located in St. Charles, Missouri.