$2 Goodwill China Blood Chit

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

I found this nicely matted and framed blood chit today at the Goodwill for $2. I'm fairly certain it is real. What do you all think?

post-30085-0-27278300-1530562212_thumb.jpg

Longbranch

That label looks like something from a small museum or very organized collector. You never know what you'll find at Goodwill.

GeneralCheese

Thanks everyone. It was a cool feeling pulling this out of a cart they had just wheeled out.

manayunkman

Seek and ye shall find.

Stop seeking and stop finding.

Awesome find and good for you.

Garandomatic

Heh, my experience with goodwill (online) today was far more disappointing! Bought a 381st Bomb Group unit history and what arrived was some sort of "encyclopedia of collaboration" professional development manual. For Pete's sake.

Awesome chit!

BlueBookGuy

hello,

don't worry the Chit is 100% real, a very good purchasing for such an incredible price. It is the 1st variation of the final type Blood Chit of Chinese inspiration - the so-called 'Washington Pattern' as issued late in the war (perhaps since early 1945).

Made in rayon (not silk), following mainly the legendary original Chinese-made Pattern of early-to-mid wartime. Those were in fact made of silk + cotton backing, and made in China for official issue to US flyers. Your is originated in the USA, using finely made rayon fabric - the same that was used in making the late war escape maps.

Here a photo of a frame containing both variations from my collection. Left - the earlier one, 1st variation. Right - the very very late war one, 2nd variation:

22_-_Copia.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Just a last photo,

to compare how the 1st Variation of a 'Washington Pattern', US-made Blood Chit like your specimen (but, not longer the 2nd Variation) really followed the characters of the much rarer, 2nd Variation China-made Blood Chit - in short, those real ones of mid-wartime made in silk + cotton backing and directly issued in China.

22_-_Copia_2_-_Copia.jpg

07_2_-_Copia.jpg

And here, the full view of the mentioned Chinese-made Chit.

07_1_-_Copia.jpg

GeneralCheese

Great information, thank you! Interesting that this was produced in the US. Was it also stamped in the US?

BlueBookGuy

Yes, by the Evasion and Escape Section of the Military Intelligence Service ( MIS-X ).

At Fort Hunt (VA) there was HQ of a secret section from the Captured Personnel and Materiel Branch of G-2, created to oversee the American Evasion and Escape (E&E) operations.

Awesome!

Now lets hope they didn't glue it to the mat board! I used to do matting and framing as a hobby(but the traditional, archival way) and was usually surprised(and occasionally shocked) by what I found when reframing something "professionally" done.

Dave

BlueBookGuy

Wow great find!...what do these usually go for??!!...just curious.....mike

Of course variation in prices is noteworthy, also it may depend from wich is the source - militaria event, antiques fairs, Internet find (and in turn, whether from eBay or other websites),

I've seen them ranging from $75 - 80, up to $350 ( :wacko: :wacko:).

sgtdorango

Of course variation in prices is noteworthy, also it may depend from wich is the source - militaria event, antiques fairs, Internet find (and in turn, whether from eBay or other websites),

I've seen them ranging from $75 - 80, up to $350 ( :wacko: :wacko:).

Wow....thanks for the info!....mike