PHOTO: Red Cross Brassard - Women's Volunteer Ambulance

mccooper

Working on a new display within which I hope to introduce "Miss ARC Motor Corps of 1918" as seen in the picture attached. She has appeared here before, in WWI nerd's outstanding post on brassards. However, we cannot ID the "WVA" acronym seen to the bottom of the brassard. Can anyone translate it? Your help is appreciated. Hate to put up a display with an item only partially ID'ed. Thank you.

mccooper

post-151387-0-01801800-1530144304.jpg

Thank you both for your responses. The ARC Women's Motor Corps did have an ambulance unit stateside, which ferried wounded from ships to hospitals, ands from hospital to hospital. That fact alone makes me lean towards the A for Ambulance answer. LW, have you seen that in print? Here is the ARC description of the brassard: Arm Band: green with a white wheel, letters A R C above. Of the few photos I have seen, only Miss Motor Corps has the additional text. Would appreciate any further detail that might be out there. Here is a close-up. Thanks and all the best,

mccooper

post-151387-0-46439600-1530197837.jpg

world war I nerd

Here's a close up from an image I found some time ago online showing more of the Red Cross, Motor Transport WVA brassards.

(Brooke, I'm pretty sure I sent a copy of this photo to you)

post-5143-0-96873600-1530223903_thumb.jpg

WOW! Great shot; had not seen that one before. Was there any data with it that might place them with ambulances? In looking at women's service overseas, I see references to either ambulance drivers or Red Cross ambulance drivers, nothing more. The American Fund for French Wounded (AFFW), a ladies' organization started by Anne Morgan, daughter of J.P. Morgan, had ambulance drivers, and seems to have had some affiliation with the Red Cross. That may have been the home of some of those women. Gertrude Stein was an ambulance driver, and was described as being "for the French." She was a part of the AFFW.

Still of importance, though, to ID more about the ARC WVA. Here is Stein with her friend Alice B. Toklas (of brownie fame) standing next to their AFFW ambulance, called "Auntie."

mccooper

post-151387-0-14424800-1530226956.jpg

world war I nerd

Here is a scan of one of jagjetta's Red Cross photos. Although the women are not wearing brassards, their uniforms are clearly those of the Red Cross, Motor Transport Corps. And as you've probably noticed, they are standing in front of a Red Cross ambulance. Unfortunately, there was no caption on the back of this postcard explaining the context.

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

Also, I have no information to go along with the previous image posted above. However, in the uncropped shot, I'm pretty sure that they are in front of an ambulance. The tarps are down on the side of the vehicle and there were no markings visible in the photograph.

post-5143-0-08635500-1530234818_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A closer view of the Red Cross ladies in front of their Ambulances.

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-49889800-1530235096_thumb.jpg

Another great picture - thanks! Looking forward to this story; I will use the WVA as ambulance with comment as to unverified. Thanks again for your valuable assistance.

mccooper

Through some other buds in the hobby found this book, which is now on order. Don't know if the WVA answer is there, but it looks to be a thumping good read. In the meantime, am going with the Ambulance description for the display unless more info turns up. I can always change the placard if necessary. Thanks again.

mccooper

post-151387-0-99400300-1530310397.jpg

This may be the answer; at least it comes closer than we were. This page from a fellow collector/researcher. Will see him in a few days to confirm source.

mccooper

post-151387-0-97271100-1530714382_thumb.jpg

One other item: was bothered by the colorization on the book cover, as the brassard should be green. Found the source for the original colorization project, and it is close to correct, as the brassard was green.

mccooper

post-151387-0-40806600-1530714892.jpg

world war I nerd

Nice sleuthing! You got to the bottom of what the initials "WVA" represent. Thanks for your efforts.