polaroid camera

danangdave

does anyone know if the polaroid instarmatic camera was used in vietnam?

i have a early 70s one.

The problem with Polaroid's was they were instant, but normally it was a one shot deal. You had your instant print, but only one copy. From what I can remember, if you saved the tear away negative, you could send them off to be reproduced, you had to be careful that the negative did not get damaged or overexposed to light.

Also, the less expensive models did not focus very well. But I believe I have seen Polaroid photos from Vietnam.

Have a scrapbook full of pics from mine. Never forget, one morning at formation our female dog, Suzie was " engaged" in the act with our shop dog Ringo in the ditch. This was behind everyone except the 1st Shirt and Co. 1st shirt yelled," someone get a picture of that!" Ran in hootch, got camera, took 2 pics, he got 1 and still have mine. Just some crazy stuff that happened over there. Then there was Ringo the wrecker dog, he went all over, S.F. bases, Vung Tau, had to keep him the cab around Marvin the Arvin.......memories.

No such thing as a Polaroid "Instamatic". Instamatic was a line of cameras produced by Kodak using the 126 or smaller 110 drop-in film cartridges. These were generally very simple and inexpensive cameraswith a few exceptions, and were basically the 1960s equivalent of 35mm disposable cameras.

The only Polaroids widely available during the Vietnam war were the rollfilm and packfilm varieties that used peel-apart film, and they certainly saw use in Vietnam during the 1960s and early 1970s. The integral SX-70 film Polaroid models weren't introduced till 1972, so while it's POSSIBLE they saw use in Vietnam, it would be an extreme rarity.

Mine had film in a 10 pack??? Inserted pack,IIRC had to peel a cover off?? Then each pic would come out of camera. Had to coat them with a sealer??? If I have time will try to find a way to post pics.

• 2 weeks later...