How rare are 187th Airborne KIA Purple Heart for Korea ?

scottplen

• 2 weeks later...
Captainofthe7th

Yes, I do. This one came from Robin - he responded to a wanted post and when he offered this pair to me I could not say no. I might have overpaid, but there is nothing we could compare to! Somewhere there is original paperwork to go with it, but between his moves it became lost and now I'm afraid it's much more difficult to find since he has passed. The documents are stellar with what I remember being the original recommendation, after action report, hand drawn maps and some more. Dwight is on the case and I have my fingers crossed that he will dig something up.

Dave photographed this to potentially use in his book(s) while it was still in Robin's possession.

M/Sgt Rodriguez served in WWII with the airborne based on his post war photo and newspaper articles. I am having the hardest time finding actual documentation of this as I only have indication that he served in a stateside MP unit and in the Pacific as a medical technician (???). Really odd. In Korea, he was with L Company, 187th and received the Distinguished Service Cross and Purple Heart on 27 September 1950 and was killed in action on 28 May 1951.

http://www.rcmcollection.com/rodriguez

I'll post just the reverse of the medals here:

post-3190-0-46755000-1530636126_thumb.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

Thanks gentlemen.

Looking at this statistically, there were 421 battle deaths in the 187th during Korea. The other infantry regiments seem to average around 800. Some are quite low for late war units like 40th and 45th Division with 150 KIAs in a regiment and others are staggering, like every 2d Div regiment is at 1300 or higher. So, on average I guess you could say 187th KIA medals are twice as rare?

Rob