4 CHAPLAINS MEDAL

firefighter

firefighter

I'm sure this is a remake. But a cool display at the Tennessee Air museum.Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It would indeed be interesting to know where these are today. Next of kin is pretty broad when you consider the time that had passed since they were awarded.

I believe one original is in the Chaplain's Corps museum and the others are still in the hands of the families.

The story as I understand it: About 15 years ago, I sold one of the modern strikes of the Four Chaplain's Medal to a retired Army chaplain, who donated it to the Chaplain's Corps museum. They knew nothing about it, so he came back to me for more info. I related what I could find and, to the great credit of the museum, they started digging. They found three of the medals still in the hands of the families. After much searching, they tracked down a collateral relative of the fourth chaplain. He offered the medal to the museum because he had been trying to give it to the Smithsonian and they weren't interested. The Chaplain's Corps obviously was interested and made arrangements for a chaplain to visit the relative and pick up the medal. The relative said "Do you want this other stuff, too?". The museum asked what the "other stuff" was and the relative said that he also had the DSC and Purple Heart with some related paperwork. So, the whole package was donated to the Chaplain's Corps museum.