WWII Office Supplies - ETO

AirCorpsClerk

AirCorpsClerk

Here are some photos of the pencils that I carry/use in my Field Desk as part of my AAF Clerk impression.

This forum apparently wont let me put my photos in my post, so you'll have to go and visit each photo.

This is the overall grouping of the pencils i use:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qdCgUL2WPn3FNcFf9

Dixon Ticonderoga No.1, No.2, and No.3. I have yet to acquire any No.4.

Venus Verithin red, and TUFF-TEX green and blue.

I keep two loose examples of each of these in the writing utensil tray of the the upper drawer of my field desk.

Here's a closeup of the different metal-saving ferrules. I arranged these from the earliest to the latest.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tYXMS636wznvJCaP7

The No.2 pencils on the left have the short-lived cardboard ferrule from 1942.

The No.1 pencils in the center have the first rendition of the phenolic plastic ferrule that was introduced in late 1942.

The No.3 pencils on the right have the second rendition of the the phenolic plastic ferrule that came about likely sometime in 1943 or 1944.

Here's an extreme closeup showing the the cardboard ferrule and the later style phenolic plastic ferrule:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ecY24PALvcNM3w3s8

This is the rear of the Venus Verithin packaging showing the copyright date:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AKjWstp5WhLt3g486

This is the opposite side of the TUFF-TEX packaging:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wVAuTvDj7s6ardVT6

I'll do the erasers separately, then i'll be moving on to moving down the list.

Sorry to anyone who objects to clicking on each link in order to view my photos, but the forum apparently wont accept my images any other way.

• 3 weeks later...
illinigander

This is an interesting topic- My addition- Does ink count or would this be a PX item? It is a boxed "Skrip Sheaffer's V-BLACK For V...- Mail (photographs best V4)" bottle. The box is nicely stained with black, but the ink has evaporated from the bottle, only a black stains remains on the bottom.

Illinigander

Would it be possible to see a photo of the bottle you have?

This is an interesting topic- My addition- Does ink count or would this be a PX item? It is a boxed "Skrip Sheaffer's V-BLACK For V...- Mail (photographs best V4)" bottle. The box is nicely stained with black, but the ink has evaporated from the bottle, only a black stains remains on the bottom.

Illinigander

illinigander

Bluehawk- I do not have the skill to post photos; that said I could e-mail photos to an e-mail address. If you wanted to message me with a address I could forward several photos and you post them? Sorry about being a dinasour.

Illinigander

:) I'm a dinosaur too... took me a good four years (2008-2012) as a USMF member to learn how to post a photo, once I learned how to take a photo!

​Anyhow, I was just wondering if your glass ink bottle is the kind that has a little cup-like reservoir for ink, just inside the top of it, to one side.

If that is the case, then I am going to WAG that it was/could have been GI.

[email protected]

Blue

Bluehawk- I do not have the skill to post photos; that said I could e-mail photos to an e-mail address. If you wanted to message me with a address I could forward several photos and you post them? Sorry about being a dinasour.

Illinigander

illinigander

Blue- The bottle indeed has the mentioned little "top well" I had forgotten about them. Will try and send photos tomorrow.

Illinigander

I cannot be sure. The bottle looks right, but I am uncertain as to the maker of the ink.

Thank you for sending the photos!

Blue- V-Mail photos are on the way. Thanks for your help.

Illinigander

v

-

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of things to ad to this if I may. Map Tacks by George B Graff Co. a very common and prolific tack maker but these are specifically labeled for the Army Air Forces. I had a chance to purchase 5 boxes of various colors and passed on it as I felt he wanted too much but now I am kicking myself. LOL! I do have this one box of pink map tacks... I Also have one box of the very common 1W-9 made by the H.M. Cornelius Co. ( Olive Green tacks), these date January 22nd 1943.

post-205679-0-41065800-1544051517.jpgpost-205679-0-06451900-1544051540.jpgpost-205679-0-61371100-1544051552.jpg

This is another interesting desk item that I acquired which is a common 3 hole punch made by Wilson-Jones Co. but stamped Property Air Force, U.S. Army

post-205679-0-99469700-1544054376_thumb.jpgpost-205679-0-64654100-1544054388_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Persian Gulf Command

Found a group of rare Black Blaisdell "Cellophane" grease pencils used for the acetate grid of the Map/Dispatch case. These are the first I have ever come across.

Blaisdell was the only company who produced these Grease (crayon) pencils before and during WW2. The Cellophane pencils were specially produced to be used on the slick acetate surface, which could be applied and then rubbed off.

post-17994-0-72725100-1545500019_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
General Apathy

Here are some photos of the pencils that I carry/use in my Field Desk as part of my AAF Clerk impression.

This forum apparently wont let me put my photos in my post, so you'll have to go and visit each photo.

This is the overall grouping of the pencils i use:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qdCgUL2WPn3FNcFf9

Dixon Ticonderoga No.1, No.2, and No.3. I have yet to acquire any No.4.

Venus Verithin red, and TUFF-TEX green and blue.

I keep two loose examples of each of these in the writing utensil tray of the the upper drawer of my field desk.

Here's a closeup of the different metal-saving ferrules. I arranged these from the earliest to the latest.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tYXMS636wznvJCaP7

The No.2 pencils on the left have the short-lived cardboard ferrule from 1942.

The No.1 pencils in the center have the first rendition of the phenolic plastic ferrule that was introduced in late 1942.

The No.3 pencils on the right have the second rendition of the the phenolic plastic ferrule that came about likely sometime in 1943 or 1944.

Here's an extreme closeup showing the the cardboard ferrule and the later style phenolic plastic ferrule:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ecY24PALvcNM3w3s8

This is the rear of the Venus Verithin packaging showing the copyright date:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AKjWstp5WhLt3g486

This is the opposite side of the TUFF-TEX packaging:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wVAuTvDj7s6ardVT6

I'll do the erasers separately, then i'll be moving on to moving down the list.

Sorry to anyone who objects to clicking on each link in order to view my photos, but the forum apparently wont accept my images any other way.

Hi Aircorp,

this is just one image I had saved on my iPad, it shows WWII typewriter oil, I will try to see what other images I can find in my files.

Sorry to see that your images are not shown here on the forum, over the years theres plenty of threads where the outside hosted images disappear and the links are vacant.

pleased to see all the picture post additions by other members.

lewis.

.post-344-0-62448400-1549293446_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
General Apathy

US Army office supplies . . . . . . . .

Shown is a pencil pointer, it consists of a wooden paddle with approximately ten layers of grit paper, these can be peeled off one layer at a time as they become worn down. When new the grit paper is covered with a protective paper cover.

A keepsake I held back from when I closed my store down. I will show more items when I have time to dig the stuff out.

lewis

.post-344-0-31268300-1554113176.jpeg

• 4 months later...
General Apathy

Well its been a few months since I or anyone posted anything to this thread, I just happened to find this carton of 1942 staples in one of my boxes today and thought it would fit in well with this topic.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-06831100-1565475642_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-25381800-1565475678_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-86821800-1565475714_thumb.jpeg

AirCorpsClerk

Hi Aircorp,

this is just one image I had saved on my iPad, it shows WWII typewriter oil, I will try to see what other images I can find in my files.

Sorry to see that your images are not shown here on the forum, over the years theres plenty of threads where the outside hosted images disappear and the links are vacant.

pleased to see all the picture post additions by other members.

lewis.

. post-344-0-84004300-1455484350.jpg

If you follow the links in my post, those will take you to my images. For some reason the forum only lets me link to my images rather than putting them into my posts.

And I've never seen that brand of typewriter oil before. If you want to part with a bottle or two, drop me a line.

General Apathy

If you follow the links in my post, those will take you to my images. For some reason the forum only lets me link to my images rather than putting them into my posts.

And I've never seen that brand of typewriter oil before. If you want to part with a bottle or two, drop me a line.

Hi AirCorp, thanks for commenting on the make of the typewriter oil, sorry to say that I only kept one for my display shelves and the others went to collecting friends.

regards lewis.

• 1 year later...
phantomfixer

What desk would be complete without a lamp....here is a period Hubbell lamp...as found, the lamp was forrest/hunter green...with very little finish remaining...cleaned, stripped and painted a very close shade..Hubbell was a wartime supplier of lamps...

20201006_202821.jpg

AirCorpsClerk
2 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

What desk would be complete without a lamp....here is a period Hubbell lamp...as found, the lamp was forrest/hunter green...with very little finish remaining...cleaned, stripped and painted a very close shade..Hubbell was a wartime supplier of lamps...

20201006_202821.jpg

Is that a contract piece?

Perhaps a thread on office furniture is in order?

phantomfixer
9 hours ago, AirCorpsClerk said:

Is that a contract piece?

Perhaps a thread on office furniture is in order?

the only hit on Hubbell lamps was on worthpoint, so take it with a grain of salt... based on pics from the 1940s, this style of lamp was used by the US...mine lacks the base cover, so no positive connection as is to the US military...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wwii-era-hubbell-gooseneck-desk-lamp-131150873

"A wonderful World War II era desk lamp. These were often military issue and had a sticker on the bottom reading "DIV OF MILITARY & NAVAL AFFAIRS,"

Here is a pic of a USGS office during WWII...map reading/making note the binder marked Sicily...not USGI but still government procured..

Women_USGS_geologists_working_with_maps_during_WWII.jpg