Modified M1 carbine case - lengthened to 45 inches

Bob Hudson

Yesterday I picked up a 1943 M1 carbine canvas case made in 1943 by Haverhill Stitching "HAV STCH" a maker of canvas field gear during the war.

I did not know that the case had been modified - lengthened - until another forum member told me. It is 45 inches long, but I have no idea what the original length was or why it was modified. The quality of the work makes me think it was factory modified.

1.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Yup, rigger modified to use with the Garand.....Owen

Thanks all - I have found some other online references about rigger mods to accomodate the M1. The work on this is very professional and I don't think it's something you'd do on grandma's Singer,

I have seen many of these but never seen any refernce or evidence it was USGI done. You would think if it was somewhere there would be refernce to it?

I have seen many of these but never seen any refernce or evidence it was USGI done. You would think if it was somewhere there would be refernce to it?

I don't know that I've ever seen official documents on "rigger" modified gear (a practice that continues to this day with unit riggers adapting things to their needs - notably the SEAL's with their relocated BDU pockets).

I re-searched the forum and found a 2012 post showing pretty much the same modificiation. On another forum this same person said they turned the case inside out and were impressed with the work, saying it didn't look homemade. Here's mine and his (different manufacturers)

3.jpg

There is and older discussion of these extended M1 carbine cases at http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-89251.html

and one person thought he recalled the Navy using these and another wrote,

"I have two of these long GI M1 Carbine cases. They were lengthened by the US Gov,t. to fit '03 & 03A3 Springfields."

Springfields? Navy? If ever you needed a good canvasmaker to do these kinds of mods, the Navy would have been the place to find one.

Is 45 inches long enough for an 03?

Okay, a little more Navy here. This is a full quote from that CMP discussion linked to above. Notice his extended cases came from a surplus store in Norfolk:

I have two of these long GI M1 Carbine cases. They were lengthened by the US Gov,t. to fit '03 & 03A3 Springfields. These two were sold as NOS surplus in the early '60's. My dad bought them at the A&N Store in Norfolk, VA. about 1962. They are in VG to EXC condition. Both are marked SHANE MFG. CO. 1944.

You would think if it was somewhere there would be refernce to it?

Back to your question: we are creating that reference right here as we connect the dots. I think one of the quotes from the CMP is perhaps yours? If we can combine some scattered bits of info we really will create the reference source.

Here's one where the extension seems to be a little wider, and maybe shaped different (or the tip may just be folded under). The attachment point looks like it was professionally sewn. A caption mentions a Garand fits tightly in it.

5.jpeg

The CMP thread says, "...Modified carbine cases. They fit the M1 Rifle also. I just tried it. (M1 rifle & 1903 Springfield are the same length) The muzzle end was cut off of the carbine cases & a new10 1/2" long end was sewn on."

There is and older discussion of these extended M1 carbine cases at http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-89251.html

and one person thought he recalled the Navy using these and another wrote,

"I have two of these long GI M1 Carbine cases. They were lengthened by the US Gov,t. to fit '03 & 03A3 Springfields."

Springfields? Navy? If ever you needed a good canvasmaker to do these kinds of mods, the Navy would have been the place to find one.

Is 45 inches long enough for an 03?

Indeed! At the Canvas and Bunting shop! (part of Deck Dept, ran by Bosun's Mates)

They could make flags, boat covers..anything! They had the industrial sewing machines and tons of material.

I got one of these in a Korean War MArine grouping. He was a Marine reservist and called up in 1950 and participated at Inchon and the Chosin.

I believe it was one he was issued because he wrote his name on it.

Very interesting, I have one too and I always thought it was modified by a surplus shop. The modification has been done very neatly though

Yea, M&G Army surplus in Norfolk had tons of good stuff until about the 90's, like most real Army Navy stores, all the real stuff finally sold. Knew both owners, one would sit and talk about his time in the 29th DIV.

• 4 years later...
On 6/20/2018 at 11:02 AM, Bob Hudson said:

Yesterday I picked up a 1943 M1 carbine canvas case made in 1943 by Haverhill Stitching "HAV STCH" a maker of canvas field gear during the war.

I did not know that the case had been modified - lengthened - until another forum member told me. It is 45 inches long, but I have no idea what the original length was or why it was modified. The quality of the work makes me think it was factory modified.

1.jpg

Interesting case. But I have to thank you for the ID of what HAV. STCH is an abbreviation of. I just picked up a water bucket with that marking and this is the only place I could find what it meant. Once again an old post comes to the rescue. 

• 1 year later...
Arisaka99

I just picked up one of these today for 50 bucks from an online trader group. Great and useful thread. It fits the known pattern; comes in at 46” also with a 10” extension. Seller pics. 

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg