And a minor miracle occurs - the MOH for Osmond K Ingram

emccomas

Well, I understand that.

I simply was wondering why the medals went to an art museum that may not appreciate their historical significance as much as a historically-oriented facility, such as a military themed museum. I did not know there was a dearth of such facilities in Alabama. I would have assumed there would have been something in Huntsville, Dothan, or Mobile.

I've also stumbled upon MoHs in city/county museums over the years. Some of these have been in relatively small towns and, while they may not have recognized the value of the medals, they certainly understood the significance of displaying such a piece earned by a local resident.

Are Ingram's medals actually on display to the public?

Osmond Kelly Ingram, and most of his family, are from the Birmingham area. I assume they wanted the medals in a local area museum.

There are plenty of museums in Alabama (and other places) that would be more "appropriate" for this type of "art", but this is what the family chose to do. There are not a lot of real military, particularly naval, museums in the Birmingham area.

Ingram's medals are NOT on display, but they are available to researchers that request an appointment. I may venture down there one day just to get a good look at the medals.

The Tiffany Cross for John Otto Siegel is in the collection of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History. That is yet another odd story.

Siegel's medal is alleged to be in the LA County Museum of Natural History. That's its last known location. I don't know if anyone has seen it in years. Memory tells me that some collector tried to view it a few years back and their request was denied. The implication was they could not find it.

Siegel's TC medal, as you know, is not his original and the TC was a replacement, sent in error. These stories just get better and better.

Siegel's medal is alleged to be in the LA County Museum of Natural History. That's its last known location. I don't know if anyone has seen it in years. Memory tells me that some collector tried to view it a few years back and their request was denied. The implication was they could not find it.

Siegel's TC medal, as you know, is not his original and the TC was a replacement, sent in error. These stories just get better and better.

I did the research on Siegel's medal and he was given the "replacement" in error do to being "Dishonorable" status for being AWOL and thus should not have received the replacement.. His grandson, whom I spoke to, remembered wearing it to one of his Boy Scout get together s and the Scout Leader freaking out, knowing what it was. Can you imagine!? LOL

Mark, what is the latest of the status of Siegel's headstone? Any chance it will get upgraded to mention the Medal of Honor?

• 1 year later...

I received an email this afternoon that the CMOH Society has accepted the research regarding John Otto Siegel for a headstone in Gary, Indiana. Currently there is no marker. It has been a few years of work but it has paid off. I expect it will be scheduled for some time in 2020 and I hope to be there for it. Very excited!