Camouflaged Mosquito/Insect Bar

dustin

I've seen frogskin camo insect bars in the past and if memory serves their legitimacy hasn't been determined. So for at least me this image definitely proves them as a WWII piece. USMC T/Sgt James Daniels contends with flooded living conditions on Guadalcanal, April 1944.

post-56-0-61552900-1529011407_thumb.jpg

I cant imagine why he would need a mosquito net ? LOL. My Dad was there. He said you would take a shower and step out in two feet of mud.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha- that settles that; a '44-dated picture is worth a thousand words; thanks for posting this.

For some reason, these didn't have spec tags or print-outs on them like the OD and tan ones did...at least, I've never seen one that did.

I for one can imagine why some would have wanted one... The mosquitoes in that part of the world spread some nasty diseases, particularly malaria. Needless to say it was a huge problem that could wipe a marine out of service even faster than a bullet...

See https://armyhistory.org/the-other-foe-the-u-s-armys-fight-against-malaria-in-the-pacific-theater-1942-45/

IIRC, there are a few pics in books on the Pacific, would look them up but books are packed up for a move.......

To be clear, it’s not about the mosquito bar use or why you would want one. You see the OD/Kahki ones in use all the time. This one is unique in that it has the frog skin camouflaged pattern. That! You do not see or at least I don’t.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen frogskin camo insect bars in the past and if memory serves their legitimacy hasn't been determined. So for at least me this image definitely proves them as a WWII piece. USMC T/Sgt James Daniels contends with flooded living conditions on Guadalcanal, April 1944.

attachicon.gifSCAN0002c.jpg

You are the first person I ever heard of that questioned the legitimacy of the camouflage mosquito bars as not being a WWII item. I guess I must be getting too old, they have been around since I was a kid in the 1950's.

• 4 years later...

It certainly puts any doubt to bed. You often get this kind of thing. A self proclaimed expert declares an item to have been not used, exclusively used or such like in a particular era and it becomes accepted wisdom. I personally cannot see why if the face veil helmet nets are believed to be wartime, and so many other camo items were used exclusively or alongside OD equivalents, how this could be any different.

i just scored one by the way, hence my sudden interest.

now maybe with all I have just said, the garment bags…?