AWARDED FOR ACTIONS

DURING World War II

Service: Marine Corps

Battalion: 1st Tank Battalion

Division: 1st Marine Division

GENERAL ORDERS:

SPOT AWARD, Fleet Marine Force Pacific: Serial 8584 (November 20, 1947(

CITATION:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Sergeant John W. Lee (MCSN: 336931), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty while serving as Tank Gunner in a platoon of Company A, First Tank Battalion, FIRST Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu, Palau Islands, from 15 to 30 September 1944. When the advance of his tank platoon was halted by a mine field covered by Japanese high velocity weapons and mortars, Sergeant Lee left his tank and proceeded to guide the platoon through the area. Although wounded by an explosion when the lead tank hit an enemy mine, he courageously administered first aid to other wounded personnel and disarmed the damaged tank before consenting to evacuation. Voluntarily reporting to duty after a short period, Sergeant Lee, on 30 September, again left his vehicle upon discovering several enemy personnel in a by-passed cave and, undaunted by hostile fire, courageously covered the Japanese-held cave while he directed his comrades in placing explosive charges to seal up the hostile emplacement. By his initiative, gallant courage and devotion to duty throughout, Sergeant Lee upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

I dont have a huge collection but I thought this story might be interesting to you all.

post-180935-0-97207800-1528938156.jpeg

gauthieb3sxz

I have a pretty big collection of WWII ID bracelets and this one looks like something that was given to a sweetheart with a recent number scratched in the back. The patina on the front is not consistent on the back and there is no debris or dirt in the service number.

Thank you! I’ll look into it. Honestly, I kind of thought it looked cleaned or fresher. But still I wanted to honor this man’s story!

gauthieb3sxz

The story is incredible and I'm glad you posted his info. Maybe someone will stumble across something from him on the forum and this info will be useful!

The story is incredible and I'm glad you posted his info. Maybe someone will stumble across something from him on the forum and this info will be useful!

It really is! Incredible what this generation did

I too have a number of engraved sweetheart pieces in my collection. I think the engraving on the front of this bracelet is to someone whose first name or nickname is "Lee". It appears to be 1940's vintage engraving, the quotation marks around the name are another indicator that this is the first name or nickname of the owner. I think someone scratched John W. Lee's serial number on the reverse to enhance this bracelet's value.

I got a refund , thanks! Going to post another piece in a seperate topic to see if you all think it’s legit