Early USMC Ka-bar

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

Thought I would share what ended up as one of my best picks last year. I bought it from a Contracter that found the Knife in an old building NY City that he was restoring. He claimed to have found the knife in a box of old tools in a small room that had been closed off for who knows how long. From his pictures the knife looked to be covered in rust but when I examined it it was small pieces of leather from the scabbard. With a little gun oil and steel wool the blade cleaned up nicely. The handle was still tight and using a small amount of leather conditioner it too cleaned up well. Too bad about the leather scabbard, not much I can do to help it, but it did its job over the years and soaked up most of the moisture keeping the knife from rusting too much.

Enjoy

post-12393-0-26627800-1528905387_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Ron!

It does have a little pitting and the very tip is broken off but I like it a lot

Common to see pitting on many of these

As we have discussed the process of acid tanning the leather will also effect the blade over time.When the leather gets wet or draws moisture it will pit the blade.I have a couple they look to have seen a lot of salt water and with pitting on the blade.The leather scabbards are pretty brittle as well