WWI Balloon Observer Grouping to Rupert C. Robertson - value?

usaf70

usaf70,

Pricing WW1 era wings can be a bit of a challenge. All of them are rare, and there are plenty of collectors looking for them. Recently, the full-wing version of your badge sold on e-medals for $4051:

https://www.emedals.com/north-america/united-states/badges/wings/united-states-an-early-observer-s-wing-c-1925

The half-wing version is much harder to find than the full-wing version. But it is also true that, in general, half-wings do not command the same prices as full-wings. I would guess that the price for the half-wing version would range somewhere between what the full-wing went for at the high end and about a quarter as much at the low end of the spectrum. I realize thats a pretty wide range.

For example, a very nice Eisenstadt half wing sold on the same site for $1480:

https://www.emedals.com/a-rare-first-war-american-observer-of-junior-military-aviator-badge-by-risenstdat

A full-wing version of the same Eisenstadt badge would likely have hammered for double that amount.

Chris

Beautiful & rare Air Service group! Silver wing is spectacular. Documented REAL Balloon groups are very hard to find. Congrats on a great acquisition! Bobgee

Its a great bit of history for a relatively rare set of items. The value is hard to say. This is for many reasons, but mostly because this is one of those "one of a kind" type groupings. There is a related grouping pinned above from a balloon pilot (LT Fuller http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/257419-lieutenant-frederick-fuller-spherical-balloon-pilot/). As I recall, that grouping started on ebay and went up and up in price. I had heard rumors it was north of 10K, but I can't really confirm that as fact. In fact, the Fuller group was posted on this forum with a very similar "what is its value" before it ended up being offered for sale.

The Fuller grouping had 2-3 really RARE wing to be sure.

This grouping is very nice. I can toss out some general observations. A bullion observer half wing, even one on a backing plate (with for some reason always seems to get a premium) doesn't get much (about 1/2-2/3 it seems) compared to a similar WWI bullion pilot wing. You always have to take it with a grain of salt, but I have seen the (and this is very broad) range from about 150$-600$ depending on the quality of the bullion. The silver metal ones get closer to 750-1500$, again, depending on the condition and the maker.

The observer wing with the US is another very rare bird. I suspect it is a postwar version and it may also be as close to a "one of a kinder" that you are going to see in this hobby. I felt that the emedals auction got some silly prices, way over what seems reasonable (and also many of those wings were discussed on this very forum--AND had been available on ebay and sold for MUCH lower prices). But that is just my opinion, but hey, if someone is going to drop 4K for one of those wings, then maybe they would drop 4K for its 1/2 wing version.

The paper work is rare too. I have no idea what the going values of paperwork is, but it would seem reasonable that it would fall in the $500-1000 range (maybe).

Then there is sometimes (although sometimes not) a premium associated with a named grouping. It depends on what he did. A stateside guy who never went overseas and served a couple of years in Nebraska... versus a veteran of the trench warfare in France... It can make a big difference in value.

Still it is a great grouping and thanks for sharing. It should be a crown jewel in your collection, I think.

P

Just being in that area of the Armed Forces makes it rare imo. Being an observer and they could also be used to drop munitions on the enemy. What a dangerous occupation being in the air with no protection. Very nice grouping indeed!

Chris

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Once I get everything arranged in the frame after adding the collar insignia,

I'll post another photo or two.

• 4 years later...