Rare USMC Depot-Made M1911 Pouch

Jake the Collector

Jake the Collector

I got this in the mail today. It is a very rare two-cell pouch for Colt M1911 magazines manufactured by the USMC Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot sometime after 1917 (though they do not really begin to appear in photographs until the 1920s). It is in excellent condition, with a strong, clear stamp on the inside of the flap; it even retains the small check mark penciled in by whoever assembled it to assist in the sewing process. A virtually identical pouch is pictured on page 43 of Alec Tulkoff's Equipping the Corps. Sometimes these pouches feature a thin black guideline running up and down the inside of the flap on either the left or right side; this one does not, however. The degree of the flap point is also known to vary significantly among different examples.

post-159182-0-11147200-1528481080_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I have owned several of these as well and have observed a few things about them. The male snap on the back that attaches it to the belt is the same as the type found in original DQP bandage pouches. Identical 'U.S.M.C' square letter stamps appear in other DQP items as well, but on a less regular basis. Every DQP mag pouch I've encountered in unissued or lightly used condition was nicely marked, unlike a lot of other USMC DQP items that were either unmarked or often have very faded markings.

Regards,

-Steve

Jake the Collector

Nice one!

Thanks, warguy.

Very nice. I have owned several of these as well and have observed a few things about them. The male snap on the back that attaches it to the belt is the same as the type found in original DQP bandage pouches. Identical 'U.S.M.C' square letter stamps appear in other DQP items as well, but on a less regular basis. Every DQP mag pouch I've encountered in unissued or lightly used condition was nicely marked, unlike a lot of other USMC DQP items that were either unmarked or often have very faded markings.

Regards,

-Steve

Thanks, Steve. I noticed that about the male snap yesterday when I first handled the pouch; I tried to determine if it was stamped "United Carr" (which would make it a post-1928 production) or just "Carr," but I couldn't make it out. As for the pouch's stamp, I've also noticed through some old forum posts that depot-made shelter halves from the 20s and 30s bear the same exact markings. The USMC stamp on the inside flaps of depot-made P1912 canteen covers are similar, but not identical.

In the examples of these pouches you've owned, have you noticed any patterns among the black guidelines on the inside of the flaps? That is, is there one type--guideline on the right, guideline on the left, or none at all--that is more common?

Regards,

Jake