37MM Round Who Made It

muddyboots

muddyboots

I picked this off of eBay the other day and finally got it. It was said that this was possibly German but there are many different types out there. It is also written on a piece of tape what looks like German WWII Prisner and then 20.00. If anyone can make out any of the stamping around the bottom it would be a great help. No matter what I thought it was a neat lighter.LOL

post-24366-0-09987900-1528405732_thumb.jpeg

muddyboots

The most I have looked at are old U.S. Navy rounds from the turn of the century to WW1. But no marks that match from what I have seen.

muddyboots

Hampton Road Relics has a complete one listed your base markings match up to what it has.

I just seen this site and its a dead ringer. The marks match very nicely. Is that maker a U.S. maker.

Your item is a WW1 US 37mm projectile. Your photo number 4 clearly shows a flaming bomb on the rotating band.

muddyboots

Your item is a WW1 US 37mm projectile. Your photo number 4 clearly shows a flaming bomb on the rotating band.

Thanks for that, I thought that mark might have been a oddly shaped 8 that was upside down. LoL I clearly dont know that much about ordinance. The only thing I suspected correctly is that it probably wasnt German. Would this have been used by Army or all branches.

muddyboots

Used by anyone armed with the M1916 37mm gun. Mostly Army.

Its certainly a heavy round and dont want to think about what they used it for.