Mossberg 500/590/590a1

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

When did the U.S military start using Mossberg shotguns? Was the 500 in use at any time or was only the 590 used. When did the 590a1 come out? I've read the Navy required the thicker barrel on the a1 to withstand being closed in a ship door. For how long were regular 590s used in the military before the a1 came out?

Firearms News (formerly Shotgun News) just had a nice 3 part series of articles on US Military Combat Shotguns.

The author of the story / series reported that in May 1979 Mossberg was awarded the contract for the M500 and they went into production and issue as the M500, and that in 1987 they began purchasing and issuing the M590A1. The article makes no note of the 590, just specifically the 590A1. The Model 590 is never even mentioned.

That's all I can offer.

A bit more... The article also says that the Navy version was the M500A, which was different in that it had a 17 inch barrel and ventilated metal handguard.

I would assume that the shorter length was a bit easier to manipulate within the closer confines of a ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Stood armed brow watch many times with a M500A, or M12. :D It was an in-port/moored watch, we in Weapons Dept (on CVN-73) would be posted anywhere someone could board. One watch was the anchor chain watch in the foc'sle...anyone climbing the chain to board was in for blast.

Our 500As had the synthetic stocks, but that wood look is SHARP.

I have a 500 tactical, basically a 20 inch barrel of same. (upgraded ghost ring sights are nice!)

500_Tactical_50567-media_1024x1024.jpg?v

Pump actions speak louder than words, and a 12 gauge is the BEST weapon to guard the ship..someone rushing the gangway would have a split second to decide if they REALLY wanted to board a US Navy vessel..

I have an Army manual from 2005 on the Mossbergs and that particular one only mentioned 500 and 590, no 590A1. As far as I know the actual issue 590 just uses that name but it has some of the features as the 590A1 with the thicker barrel, metal trigger housing and the metal safety switch etc. That may be why people refer to the issue one as 590A1. I also have another manual that is multiservice for all 4 branches from 1995 and that one covers the 500, 500S, 500A1, 500A2 and 590 as well as other shotguns (Winch. 1200 and Rem 870).