• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,787
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

I'm not a smoker personally, but it was such a pervasive habit back in the 1940s, especially with the men in service, I feel it helps represent the era accurately. One of the first mannequins I acquired, back in the mid-1980s, was imported from Italy, coincidently, and was sculpted with an open mouth. I took advantage of that feature on another project a couple of years ago, but this time with the help of a spot of Krazy glue. The flight gear of VF-15 ace LT(j.g.) Wallace "Rod" Johnson:

Attached Images

• IMG_6225.JPG
  • IMG_4648.JPG

#27 Government Issue

Government Issue
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,235
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

I've been considering putting together a USMC or USN pilot for awhile now and your displays look ace! Almost everyone smoked in the service in the 40s. I've been told by Vets that if you didn't smoke you learned to real fast especially after your first time in combat. 

#28 BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,851
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

wow this latest one is actually at the top, realistic-wise.. Impressive, it seems like alive..   great.

Definitely I have to reconsider my old plan, just must be sure not to make any blunders (ehm,  'cazzate' :blush:  in Italian slang). In fact, mouth of my guy is indeed a bit too shut.

#29 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

I'm not a smoker personally, but it was such a pervasive habit back in the 1940s, especially with the men in service, I feel it helps represent the era accurately. One of the first mannequins I acquired, back in the mid-1980s, was imported from Italy, coincidently, and was sculpted with an open mouth. I took advantage of that feature on another project a couple of years ago, but this time with the help of a spot of Krazy glue. The flight gear of VF-15 ace LT(j.g.) Wallace "Rod" Johnson:

Yep, the mannequin looks perfect with the cigarette.

It is one of the things that is historically correct you hardly ever see at re-enactments and very rarely in movies anymore. The least we can do is to represent it correctly in displays!

#30 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

Bumped for the 75th Anniversary.

One important new item for the display this year was the Royal Navy FAA dinghy knife, as worn on the Mae Wests issued to the VCS-7 pilots. It took a couple of years searching to track down a correct example, as the FAA type had a unique feature, an additional small dagger, fitted inside the main knife's wooden handle, for use to deflate the dinghy rapidly, when needed. 

Attached Images

• IMG_6857.JPG
  • IMG_6851a.JPG

#31 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

The knife, installed.

Attached Images

• IMG_6870a.JPG
  • IMG_6872a.JPG

#32 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
    • Member ID: 369
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

One of a kind item for sure!

Cheers,
Jerry

#33 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,252 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

Nice display!

#34 pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2
  • Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

Thank you Kurt.

A few more minor improvements from the past year.

The floating torch, carried in a specific pocket on the wearer's right side of the Mae West, was upgraded to one with a cord still intact. Many surviving examples will have the rubber insulation badly deteriorated, as did my previous one.

Attached Images

• IMG_6720a.JPG
  • IMG_6719a.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users