Recent Find - WWI Marine Corps Officer Uniform Grouping

Clohesey

This is a new addition to my collection that I am proud to own and wanted to share as it is now the pride of my collection next to the family heirlooms.

I present this uniform grouping named to William Andrews Dole Jr. who was attending Harvard before he enlisted in the Marine Corps on June 10th 1918 as a private, Stationed at Paris Island. In August, he went to Officers training camp in Quantico, Virginia. He was then commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Marine Corps Reserve on December 20th. He also attended Sea Officers school on January 2nd 1919, onto machine gun school on March 2nd. Then discharged April 15, 1919. Not a glorious combat veteran, but definitely a glorious uniform group.

His dress blue uniform set. Note the 1st Lieutenant bullion. He must have been promoted just before his discharge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close up of the Dress EGAs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

His Forest Green Uniform Set.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Close up of the Service EGAs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some better pictures of the leather.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Lone pair of trousers, Khaki, Summer Service I believe. unfortunately, they did not come with the tunic or hat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A portrait of Dole (copy), Dog Tags, and a few paper items.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Personal effect bag

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shaving Kit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What is left of his sewing kit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mirror and Hygiene pouch

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Machine Gun Spare Barrel Cover, Named to a different person, but came with group.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a few shots of the group as it is now displayed in the war room. I have plans to get some mannequins soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is all, Thank You.

Very nice! Its in amazing condition given it age. Thanks for sharing and including quality photos of the items.

Lance gorgeous grouping for sure. Congratulations. Groups like this just don't around very often. Kevin

Multiple top shelf additions to your collection over the past few months! A real pleasure to see what you uncover next!

Fantastic addition to your collection. Those Liberty Bronze EGAs are great... well the whole grouping is great!

Fantastic group! Condition appears immaculate! Unbelievable for a 100 year old ensemble. How did it turn up? Family or previous collection? A BIG SEMPER FI.......Bobgee

Fantastic group! Condition appears immaculate! Unbelievable for a 100 year old ensemble. How did it turn up? Family or previous collection? A BIG SEMPER FI.......Bobgee

Thank you Bob. I found the group on eBay, as a buy it now. I did not ask, but I believe it is from family, as he would not part with the portrait of Dole, but provided a scaned image to go with the set.

teufelhunde.ret

Amazing to view a group of this age, in this condition and this complete. I’d stay in touch with the family, for more info on him and perhaps they have more to come... such as his sword!

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing to view a group of this age, in this condition and this complete. Id stay in touch with the family, for more info on him and perhaps they have more to come... such as his sword!

Update

I have been in contact with his daughter, I have all the military items that belonged to her father, besides his portrait of course. Unfortunately no sword. She was very pleased to know her fathers items went to a good home and will be well taken care of. She was more than happy to brief me on her fathers history.