1910 marine scabbard?

bladelover

bladelover

Recently I bought a 1910 16 inch scabbard with the typical beige cloth. It is in excellent shape but not perfect as there is minor fabric wear where the scabbard would meet the belt and overall light dirtiness on all the fabric. The tip is sound and looks like old leather, not the new leather I saw offered a few months ago. I haven't looked at the inner scabbard. Do not want to mess fabric up. At the rear of the scabbard a seam runs the length of the scabbard.

The seam is sound and the thread s match the material of the scabbard. I was told this seam indicated marine use. It obviously was not to mend a tear. Supposedly on the left side or the flag raising photo a scabbard of this type is displayed. I see a scabbard in the photo but it is not clear enough to make out this seam. Are you familiar with a scabbard of this type? Thanks

My understanding is the Marine issue scabbards have the seam running up the side. Photos would help.

jeremiahcable

Does it have the metal grommet for a drain hole on the back side of the leather tip? That was a specification for the marine pattern scabbard covers.

bladelover

No there is no drain hole but the leather is not new. The threads holding the tip on are slightly darker than the threads that create the seam. Would a tip be replaced by one without a drain hole? Jeff

One thing I notice on the Marine scabbard covers also is the color of the leather.I have an unissued cover and the tip is a cordovan(dark brown) color.

The Army types appear more of a russet brown-reddish brown

jeremiahcable

Doyler makes a good point. All the ones I have had were also darker, whether from the maker or not I don't know.

As for replacing the leather, these covers were the current issue thing so I would be surprised if there wasn't a replacement issued if one was damaged.

An Army scabbard with cover compared to a USMC version(unissued)

USMC...Side seam,drain hole and cordovan color leather tip

post-342-0-94734400-1528340371_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-00648500-1528340352_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-96749100-1528340421_thumb.jpg

The thread is also a color on the USMC covers typically seen used by the Marine Depot when manufactured there

Here is a marine cover next to a boyt cover. The treads are darker on the marine issue. Also I was just looking at a reproduction cover on ebay. The only difference I could see (without actually handling it) is the seams holding the hanger have only one set of stitching down the sides of the hanger stitching. The one I have has 2.( picture) It looks like who ever stitched this one was new and in a hurry. This one is unissued. I believe this is an original as it has the original wood body and everything looks right to me. However having only one I have nothing to compare it to and the reproductions are getting better. Any thoughts on this ?post-167936-0-56841700-1528384068.jpg

Well I can't figure mine out. I has a fine aged seam that looks to me it would be hard to fake given the coloration and matching wear, but it's color and tip match the army model pictured by Doyle exactly. Would any army models have the seam? Thanks. Jeff

Someone directed me to military knives.com and I saw the same scabbard I have. It is not likely marine. It is the first picture shown of a fabric scabbard. The tan webbing is stitched down the right side and the tip is light brown, not dark. No drain hole is shown or mentioned in the description. But only one side of the scabbard is shown. The scabbard is described as 1910 type I . So it would be new type of scabbard issue. Likely the army would have first dibs on that. Jeff