WWII "Code Talker" Kabar - NOT! On ebay

usmce4

Just for fun, check out ebay Item 352360855160

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-KABAR-MK2-CODE-TALKER-OWNED-FIGHTING-KNIFE-U-S-MARINE-CHESTER-NEZ-w-EXTRAS/352360855160?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Advertised as a documented WWII Kabar belonging to a Navaho Code Talker WITH Documentation. One of OUR members spotted it as a modern repro and advised the seller. He put a small correction in and made it a "Vietnam Era" knife but the bidding is over $350 and it closes tonight.

Caveat Emptor

Art

Bob Hudson

"WWII~KABAR MK2~CODE TALKER OWNED FIGHTING KNIFE~U.S. MARINE CHESTER NEZ w/EXTRAS"

Someone made a good catch on WW2 authenticity. But, it probably did belong to the "Code Talker", maybe as a gift, or a replacement. Thanks for posting Robert! SKIP

Bob Hudson

Those wondering about how you can tell its vintage: well Ka-Bar brand fighting knives were not made for the military after WWII. During the 1970's they started making a commemorative version, similar to but not exactly like the WWII versions. The writing on the blade is a little different:

kabartalker.jpgkbarknown.jpg

An easier way to tell them apart is the pommel, but the "talker" knife photos don't show the pertinent details. Here's a forum post about the pommel differences and mentions the black plastic spacer and blackened grooves on the grip of the commemorative version being sold as a talke's WWII knife:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/284158-another-silly-commemorative-kabar-auction/?p=2285762

At least it wasn't one of these.

post-17422-0-27123500-1527793662_thumb.jpg

This was among some documents Tom Williams sent me some years ago. The back story Tom gave me was that apparently Camillus did supply the movie with some prop material during the time that Camillus was making their U.S.M.C. marked reproductions of the Marine Corps fighting /utility knife. I kind of think the auction house might not of got everything right when it came to the description. (???)

Frank Trzaska

I purchased a few of the prop knives from that sale. They were the rubber ones and they used the recent Camillus USMC knives obtained directly from Camillus for the mold.