• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Bodes

Bodes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,180
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

I've run into the ebay road block many times....One lady I know has refused to sell to me, cuz I can get a whole lot more money on there...At least twice, this wasn't the case....First was a US armored pamphlet from WW2......Was convinced she'd get $200 on the internet....I offered $10....After numerous attempts to sell with a high BIN price, she started it off at $9.99.....Got one bid.....Second item was a pair of US double boots she had at an estate....Wanted $200 and I placed a $90 in the offer box, in case they didn't sell.....She pulled them prior to the sale ending, so she could list them in ebay.....I upped my offer to $100, cash and carry...She said she would list them with an opening bid of $90.....Nobody bid until under sixty seconds left......After paying fees and having to ship, she made less money....Karma got even with her, laughed pretty hard both times, Bodes

Edited by Bodes, 14 June 2018 - 08:09 AM.

#52 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:55 AM

This is a pretty good thread...fun to read through the experiences of fellow collectors....most of buy and sell to fund the hobby...or business...

I like the antique malls...Sometimes you do find deals...and sometimes you have to wonder what they were smoking...laugh/chuckle and walk away

Edited by phantomfixer, 14 June 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#53 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Went to an Antique Mall yesterday. There was a box of WW2 era letters. Just a few were V-Mail. The person was selling them for $1.00 ea. He said that he sells one or two per day. I asked what he would take for the lot. He said $100 for 135 letters. To me that sounded reasonable and that I would think about it. I looked around to see what else may be found. Due to where I live I usually grab whatever ever i can that is WW2 related regardless of the price. After further thought I decided against it because i have been focusing on purchasing division marked uniforms from Forum members and I did not want to purchase an impulsive buy albeit it may have been a great deal. I don't know? I told the seller that I will pass for now. He got mad and said that people are only trying to get a steal on deals. I objected to him and he then said not to bother to come back in! Ticked me off!! I really had to restrain myself from going back later and offering him $99 for the lot!!

unless the narrative in those letters are something reaaaaaaaal good, [or a really really rare APO or someone very special wrote em] you'd be wayyy  way over paying for that at 99$ 

JMHO. 

#54 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:17 PM

LOL. Whenever I see a seller checking eBay to figure up an asking price during negotiations, I just let them know if they want eBay prices, they should probably sell whatever it is on eBay. And deal with the investment in time listing/packing/shipping, 13% cut for eBay, possible returns, etc.

Then I walk away. Lots of stuff out there that you don't need to play games to get.

#55 RDUNE

RDUNE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 44,370
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:55 AM

Having worked in an antique mall off and on for the last 8 years or so, I can say that it's usually ignorant optimism to blame for the prices. Most of the dealers I know who find a military item assume it must be WWII, and therefore must be valuable. Many are older and price things on their gut instincts rather than researching similar items online. As has bee said though, some people just don't want to hear it when you try to offer friendly pricing advice. Dealers used to ask my advice, and then essentially throw it out the window.

"Hey Ryan, what should I put on this (stripped, moth eaten) Ike Jacket?" "$25 and then take offers" "Ehhh... I'm gonna put $150 on it"

But like someone else mentioned, only 99% of the things in antique malls are overpriced. Sometimes there are deals to be had. One of my favorite antique mall finds was a numbered Purple Heart for $4.99. It was in a really lousy antique mall full of 90's toys, VHS tapes, fake primitives, etc. I almost gave up then I saw the medal in a case with a tag that said "Purple Heart Pin". I guess the dealer thought it was just jewelry. I couldn't get to the register fast enough to get the girl to open the case. The cashier knew what it was and changed the description on the receipt. I still have the medal, in a riker with the receipt. It's my little reminder to keep hitting the antique malls, despite the aggravation of seeing ETO ribbons for $15, Army good conduct medals for $50, AAF patches for $20, etc...

post-5589-0-80084200-1403122111.jpg

post-5589-0-79232300-1403122122.jpg

post-5589-0-64011800-1403122128.jpg

#56 USmilitaryMuseum

USmilitaryMuseum
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,535
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

There is an antique store in my town selling a WWI gas mask for $30, probably going to go this weekend to get it.  Same store has a 1970's USAF tunic completely stripped for $70.  Always a hit or miss.

Edited by USmilitaryMuseum, 15 June 2018 - 04:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users