Why antique shops have no clue on militaria

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

This was in a local antique mall this morning: a USAF cap and a kid's sheriff badge, together worth $8-10 on a good day:

1.jpg

But wait! It's a treasure:

2.jpg

It could be that they are actually trying to sell to the unsuspecting buyer. The uninformed buy as well as the uninformed sell.

You think so:)

It could be that they are actually trying to sell to the unsuspecting buyer. The uninformed buy as well as the uninformed sell.

You think so:)

Yes. We see stuff listed incorrectly all of the time. Even after the seller is informed they are wrong, they do not change the listing. Therefore, they are trying to get the uninformed person to buy. What makes you think this is any different?

Did the OP try to tell the antique store they were wrong?

Hookemhorns88

I see stuff like this all of the time. I try to politely tell them what they really have. Plenty are thankful but many have some extravagant story related to the object which must trump what they really have despite the apparent evidence. Many do not realize that often times there are labels in the pockets that give a manufacture date.

I have gone to many shops where they have the same inventory for many years because they are asking way too much for what they believe that they have.

stealthytyler

My experience is that many antique mall dealers dont do their research on items and place ridiculous prices...sometimes that pays off for the buyer though. I wonder if many of these dealers are just lazy and want to quickly flip the items without proper research. It is so easy to find prices these days with a simple iPhone app called EBAY. But then again, they are probably looking at over priced and unsold listed items rather than completed/sold items.

agate hunter

A while back I was at an antique shop, they had a US military Air Medal with the ribbon broken off and the medal looked like it was buried in the ground for years, they were convinced it was a WWII German medal and had about $100 on it, my brother and I told them what it was but they looked at us like we didn't know anything..

vintageproductions

I recognize those price tags.

This is an antique mall and you can tell the workers whatever you want, that doesn't mean the space owner will listen when they are told.

268th C.A.

Very nice Sheriff one bullet Barney Mayberry RFD cap at a bargain price.

The sad truth is they really don't have a clue, probably bought it at an auction, and paid $75. now there passing on the deal too some other....We all deal with them. They paid too much so it will be there for next 10 years or till the mall goes out of business. As it will with prices and merchandise like this....all too familiar. Forrest Gump's mama had a saying for them....

Bob Hudson

My experience is they wouldn't do anything except get annoyed if politely informed they made a massive mistake. This was in a booth so whomever has the booth was not there. I have put an anonymous note inside such things, explaining what it is.

But mostly I just chuckle.

On the other hand, at an antique mall north of Houston, I picked up a 1945 Airtress Midland shotgun shell pouch for $20. Very rarely, but sometimes you can use their ignorance to your advantage.

Al

stealthytyler

On the other hand, at an antique mall north of Houston, I picked up a 1945 Airtress Midland shotgun shell pouch for $20. Very rarely, but sometimes you can use their ignorance to your advantage.

Al

+1

I picked up a mint FS/FB Schlueter M1 helmet with early liner for $40 once at a mall. I think it was labeled "old helmet"

I was agreeing with you and trying to interject a little humor.

Yes. We see stuff listed incorrectly all of the time. Even after the seller is informed they are wrong, they do not change the listing. Therefore, they are trying to get the uninformed person to buy. What makes you think this is any different?

Did the OP try to tell the antique store they were wrong?

Antique malls are sometimes great places to find stuff, other times anything you find is way overpriced (as in this example). It's all part of the hunt I guess.

Great subject. Years ago found 2 Iraqi helmets in a mall in JAX, pretty cheap so picked them up and went to check out. Older lady asked what they were as she was putting in a bag. Told her, she said," Oh, we ought to charge more for them". Told her that's OK you know they most likely have poison gas residue on them and you will need to get the antidote today. The look on her face was priceless as she dropped them on the the counter.

manayunkman

If I stopped to tell people about their stuff, it would be all I do.

So I don't.

Once I found a bargain WWII army officers cap for $175+ at a shop. I was still a teenager at the time and politely told their self proclaimed military expert that I picked up an exactly similar item for $5 at a garage sale. It was a enlistedmans cap. The expert was offended and told me that this is not a garage sale. Ive always wondered if the expert was really that clueless or if he was trying to fool some poor buyer.

Capt.Confederacy

Al

Indeed. I picked up a couple of months ago a close to prestine WW2 officer's cap with the back strap for $15.00. The only problem was that someone had removed the eagle emblem off the front. Still, everything else in the booth was sky-high for no reason that I could see.

manayunkman

I was selling at a show not too long ago and someone told me my price was out of line because they are selling much cheaper at yard sales.

What do you say to a statement that is comparing apples to oranges?

manayunkman

I offered to buy every single one they could sell me for twice the price they paid.

I was selling at a show not too long ago and someone told me my price was out of line because they are selling much cheaper at yard sales.

What do you say to a statement that is comparing apples to oranges?

Manny you say what the little fellow in your avatar is saying.... piss on em.

Ronnie

Good topic. In life, we often meet folks who refuse to be confused with the facts. That sometimes works to our advantage. Bobgee