slideshow WWII fates of Anappolis Class of 36

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I recently got a copy of the Naval Academy's LUCKY BAG yearbook for 1936. Someone taped-on or wrote-in updates on the fates of classmates killed in World War II. There are also some notes about classmates who never made it to graduation for reasons ranging from General Court Martial to Getting Married Too Soon.

The very high quality printing of this book resuled in some amazing image details that draw you into the eyes of these 22-year-olds (on average). They all spent a couple years as surface warfare officers before being allowed to go into something like subs or aviation. When war hit, they'd have had a couple of years OJT in their speciality and I'd bet a lot of them quckly had combat commands.

"...........The Rest of the Story" as Paul Harvey used to say......Excellent! Thanks, Bob!

Very moving tribute to those men. I used to have a copy of the 1936 Howitzer (West Points yearbook). That was the Class of both Westmoreland and Abrams who as you remember were commanders of US forces in Viet Nam. Wish I still had that book, but I sold it at the 1979 ASMIC National Convention to Jay Masssaro .