USAEUR Football Letterman's Jacket

Good evening all. Trust everyone had a safe and relaxing Memorial Day. Recent pickup I wanted to share. Thanks for looking.

post-150797-0-28619800-1527542061_thumb.jpg

post-150797-0-82493700-1527542082_thumb.jpg

Here's mention of the Freedom Bowl games.

https://ussporthistory.com/2017/07/13/a-life-in-service-to-country-and-football-barney-gill-and-cold-war-military-football-part-two-military-football/

https://ussporthistory.com/2017/08/03/a-life-in-service-to-country-and-football-barney-gill-and-cold-war-military-football-part-four-coaching-over-there/

And this.

Pacific Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 1, 1963, Tokyo, Japan• ? _' VDv 1HE STARS AND STMKS I Ex-Mainz Gridder Making Switch to Career as Official GARMISCH, Germany (S&S) — There will be some new faces among those officials working the 1963 USAREUR football games, arid one will be Johnny Kai — a coach turned referee. Kai is familiar to football fans in Europe as the little rock-ribbed center for the Mainz Troopers in the 1959-61 era. Last year he en- tered the coaching field and di- rected the 8th Inf Div Pathfinders to an impressive early season 3-1 record before he was suddenly re- lieved of his duties. Now Kai, who is in his fifth year in the Army, has turned to officiatirg with the purpose of un- derstanding the game much bet- ter. 'Good Background' "Eventually I'll go back into coaching again — but I want to get a good background in officiat- ing which will help me in my coaching," Kai said. "When I go back into coaching, it won't be as a head