40mm Bofors with crimps, WW2 dated

A pic for the Bofors collectors, ones with crimps are seldom seen.These are keepers, the M81 Army round M25 with Army crimp ( AP) and Navy issues, two HE self destruct, and one HEI plugged. All four on an Army issue M3 1944 dated clip. Navy issue have the Anchor, Army issue an M number. See pics.

post-180924-131609.jpeg

Thanks, original paint. The polished up cases had a very heavy varnish coating that was peeling and chipping so I had to strip it off. The 40mm Bofors are an inexpensive way to have some WW2 dated Ordnance and they come in all different types ( colors designate different loads). The harder to find Army casing is stamped M25, ( about 1 Army to 10 Navy ones found) and the Navy Mk1, II, etc marked also have an anchor marking. Army ones are usually seen with the M81AP projectiles, black. Navy all very common. Today's pricing you might ask? $125 plus for a " matched" correct WW2 dated complete brass cartridge with primer, no crimp. Most on the market have been fired and the case has just about anything stuck in it to fill the hole. Note, many projectiles out there have a " demil" torch cut on the driving band, seen usually with the post WW2 ones, all still collectible as DOD did not release any that were not demilled. Many out there have projectiles post war to 1980's ( yes, the Bofors L60 was in service till then). Serious collectors will pay 200 or more for correct crimped rounds.Note also, post war cases switched to lacquered steel, Korean War dated fairly hard to find also. The C130 Spectre today still uses the 40mm L60 ( not the newer L70) in phosphate washed steel cases, very hard to find. Here is a chart of all the different types.

post-180924-0-31647300-1527516076_thumb.jpeg

Here is a picture of my C130 gunship rounds I acquired while working in South America a few years back, also the crimped 105mm they use. As you know, the standard 105mm H is a seperate loading round, ( bags of powder are inserted in the case just before firing), the USAF 105mm is crimped, the projectile is solidly crimped in place with the powder load a set value. This is done as the 105mm is pointed downwards when firing, they can not have the projectile slipping out of the case. The Air Force 40mm L60 Bofors is red on yellow, today's code for the HEI-P ( high explosive incendiary, plugged- no tracer). Also note the belt of 25mm PGU25 ( loading/ cycling rounds- gold colored) for their 25mm chain gun.

post-180924-0-29391400-1527517515_thumb.jpeg

While I am at it, a collection of smaller ordnance. L -R 40mm L60 HEI (1945 Navy), 30mm PGU16 ( A-10), 25mm PGU 25 HEI-P ( C130), 20mm M63 API ( Army), and a .50 BMG.

post-180924-0-58390200-1527518540_thumb.jpeg

Some more Bofors...

All repaints...

I noticed your Army Bofors, Is it in an Army M25 case? What year is the headstamp? Notice the crimp, much different than a Navy Bofors, and much harder to find.

It is in an Army case, 1942 Frankfort...I took some pics last night I'll post up later...

I noticed your Army Bofors, Is it in an Army M25 case? What year is the headstamp? Notice the crimp, much different than a Navy Bofors, and much harder to find.

Thank you. As you saw on BOCN there was no response to my question of stab crimps on the WW2 M25 Army cases until one member from Europe posted all the Army M25 cases he has are stab crimped. Mine with an unfired stab crimp initially looked strange, but your fired shell confirms the crimp style.

Not to "nit pick" but your description of "separate loading" artillery may be slightly misleading: Charge bags are not inserted in the case just before firing, but the charge can be adapted to the desired range by REMOVING bags just before firing. This is not applicable to the firing of the howitzer aboard the AC130.