25th Infantry Helmet Opinions

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

Perusing Ebay and found this. Seller says its early Vietnam. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

post-777-0-32811900-1527299167_thumb.jpg

the professor

The helmet has numerous scratches and chips, and the chinstraps a fair amount wear. The insignia not so much....not a game killer but it makes me wonder.

I would need better pictures or have it in hand to give a solid opinion.

Nice looking helmet and if authentic not a bad price.

How "early" is early VN?

25th ID arrived in country Mar 66 from HI, and they were wearing cammie helmet covers in HI prior to commitment to combat. Not sure why someone would paint this insignia on a steel pot if it's covered over by a cammie cover........

USAF29thINFvet

So does this thing scream fake? Would you have it in your helmet collection without reservations?

There are things that are odd and then there are things that are odd.... why is there a follow me stripe on the helmet, is it there to deceive? It’s small so I’m think no but why is it there. Why is the insignia so fresh looking, maybe a cover was on the helmet, maybe done state side. Without better close up pictures there is a lot of maybe’s and head scratching for me. If the price is low and you want it go for it, have fun with this hobby.

Marty

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

How "early" is early VN?

25th ID arrived in country Mar 66 from HI, and they were wearing cammie helmet covers in HI prior to commitment to combat. Not sure why someone would paint this insignia on a steel pot if it's covered over by a cammie cover........

The chinstraps on this helmet were introduced in 1966.

Honestly, this looks more Korean era. Of course you have to discount the straps which could have been put on by a collector or a vet or whatever at some point after it's military life. The point is, the 25th was heavily involved in Korea, marked their helmets with insignia and used skinny follow me bars, these were not used in Vietnam, that I am aware of. Also, the dark OD is reminiscent of the KW.

Honestly, this looks more Korean era. Of course you have to discount the straps which could have been put on by a collector or a vet or whatever at some point after it's military life. The point is, the 25th was heavily involved in Korea, marked their helmets with insignia and used skinny follow me bars, these were not used in Vietnam, that I am aware of. Also, the dark OD is reminiscent of the KW.

I will buy that for a dollar. southern translation; I agree

Marty

Burning Hazard

My guess is either a post-war commemorative display piece for the vet or a fake.

I noticed that fakers have become more crafty in recent years; they're getting more consistent with painting smaller markings/stripes unlike the horribly over sized ones during SPR and BoB times. I also noticed fakers are attacking other divisions since airborne, ranger, NBB, and Normandy D-Day division fakes have become too abundant.

Just some thoughts

Pat

USAF29thINFvet

Flipped through my 25th ID Korean War history and only saw pics of division insignia painted on both sides of the helmet, not the front as shown on this helmet. Obviously the amount of pics are limited in this reference and there are exceptions to every rule.