WW1 USMC Officer Estate Sale Haul

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

I went to an estate sale last week and after seven and a half hours of digging I came home with these EGA's and a bunch of field gear (not pictured). The hats are named to a G. Wale Jr. Haven't run the name yet, but everything is in great shape and he went to France. He appears to be the lieutenant in the middle of the photo and that man's cap appears to have the same piping. The EGA on the overseas appears to be French made while the bell crown, I believe, is a Meyer pattern.

Anyone ever seen piping like that on the side hat; any thoughts?

The stuff is still out there.

Best ABN

post-1800-0-86503200-1527297782_thumb.jpg

jeremiahcable

That is French made piping for Marine officers on the side cap, as well as a French EGA. The bellcrown EGA does look like a SN Meyer of Washington DC piece. It would be marked on the back of the anchor if you care to look. He's holding a shooting trophy in that picture, I have a couple photos from one of his marines that shot on that team and have seen a close up image of the trophy. Great find, congrats.

i love to see the stuff that comes out of estates, garage sales etc.... especially when it is this crazy cool. Congrats!!!

teufelhunde.ret

Superb WW1 era USMC mementos, certainly would be the centerpiece of any collection from that era. The globe on this emblem was used on other Emblems including unmarked devices. Pls post pics of the back & roller of each for us. Will be interesting to hear of his service... get his records from St. Louis.

Those are just wonderful. So refreshing to hear about items coming out of estate sales, yard sales,etc. Congratulations.

History preserved is a wonderful thing... maybe I'll start going to estate sales again... after a 40 year hiatus

Airborne-Hunter

Superb WW1 era USMC mementos, certainly would be the centerpiece of any collection from that era. The globe on this emblem was used on other Emblems including unmarked devices. Pls post pics of the back & roller of each for us. Will be interesting to hear of his service... get his records from St. Louis.

The side hat has corrosion on the pin stem making it difficult to remove so here are the best photos I could get.

post-1800-0-20114100-1527478676.jpg

post-1800-0-62514500-1527478738.jpg