1981 "Kaufmans West" Army & Navy Surplus catalogue

hhbooker2

As a teen I lived at Kaufmans, Canal Street Surplus, and also Weiss and Mahoneys on 19th. Had a Mint HBT special jacket for 10 Bucks I found buried in the back of Kaufmans. I remember the Hippie Ned Flanders who worked the counter.

I

This is a start, but unable to read as in too small and blurry. Any help with this?

Jack

JACK: Problem with displaying text from pages here is size limitation, actually can show these page more tha n 200% size and clearly readable, like at http://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942?feat=email (Booker's Free Web Library). Sarge Booker :think:

post-837-1311823010.jpg

post-837-1311823031.jpg

post-837-1311823064.jpg

post-837-1311823082.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

I used to go to Kaufmans West ALL the time when I lived in ABQ, I even applied for a job there once. Not only are the prices amusing, but so is the fact it's from Kaufman's.

• 3 weeks later...
As a teen I lived at Kaufmans, Canal Street Surplus, and also Weiss and Mahoneys on 19th. Had a Mint HBT special jacket for 10 Bucks I found buried in the back of Kaufmans. I remember the Hippie Ned Flanders who worked the counter.

Have you been to kaufmans lately, you cant even move in there, all of the area in the place is loaded with boxes filled with non collectable things, he still has a great many things in his warehouse, but will not bring them to the city. There are in fact really nothing in the city in or out of manhatten anymore, even the guy at church st surpuls refuses to show anything and this guy has hundreds of items hanging from the rafters and in boxes and bundels behind the ranks along the walls as well as in the back, you could literaly walk in there with 10,000 bucks and leave with a 100 bucks of 3 dollar patches and collar pins, he will not bring out any thing that is not on the ranks at time, FRUSTRATING !

Have you been to kaufmans lately, you cant even move in there, all of the area in the place is loaded with boxes filled with non collectable things, he still has a great many things in his warehouse, but will not bring them to the city. There are in fact really nothing in the city in or out of manhatten anymore, even the guy at church st surpuls refuses to show anything and this guy has hundreds of items hanging from the rafters and in boxes and bundels behind the ranks along the walls as well as in the back, you could literaly walk in there with 10,000 bucks and leave with a 100 bucks of 3 dollar patches and collar pins, he will not bring out any thing that is not on the ranks at time, FRUSTRATING !

Yeah, I hate collectors who think they are dealers, too!

-Ski

Yeah, I hate collectors who think they are dealers, too!

-Ski

SKI: I have a catalogue from Kaufman's and buy by mail, to my understanding, they have shirted over to mail-order and said they do not spend time catering to collectors who want to rummage through their stock and leave a mess after they leave buying very little or nothing or asking for the prices to be lowered. Professional dealers who they have known for years get to look at an buy because they definately have serious money to spend. The people who ran Kaufmans retired or died and their sons and grandsons are a different generation. I know several places with insignia and uniforms that are shipped by FedEx, UPS or U.S.Postal Service - they too do not want to have collectors in the stores and have to watch them while they are there. Yes, there are collectors who also deal and unlike myself who collects, I differ in that I give away my duplicates to whomever asks for the stuff I have to give away and provided they do not offer to pay postage or a token payment because I do not need more money, I have enough money that I'll never get to spend! I am not wealthy, not poor either! I knew a lot of owners of surplus stores and still know a few and I refuse to shop for others, especially when they offer me a percentage to go where they cannot go. However, if I have something I definately know they collect, I'll give them my possessions. Have found collectors almost never take you serious when you give away things, some dealers see a good deal and accept gratiously! I'd rather help dealers as they need the money they get from selling. I supply several eBay sellers with unwanted boxes of everything militaria. Why do I have to wait until I am dead to donate my stuff to others? Kaufman's does a lot of mail-order and many of their customers are not collectors, but campers, sportsmen, etc.! :w00t:

post-837-1313526620.jpg

post-837-1313526632.jpg