Goodwill WWI grouping - with an unpleasant surprise

mvmhm

OK, let's try this again...a steamer trunk was dropped off today with a mostly complete uniform group from a soldier who served in the 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, 6th Field Artillery Brigade, 6th Division in France. I could guess why it has been dumped - on top was a KKK robe and hood (which apparently I can't post here)....anyway, here's the uniform.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-63133900-1527213503_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-71080800-1527213511_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention, there's a small blue star pin that goes with the War Camp booklet...and a Greene County, Ohio service medal that I've been looking for for quite some time...

post-3423-0-92192400-1527214073.jpg

post-3423-0-43239800-1527214084_thumb.jpg

and a couple more souvenirs...a match cover with Dijon city emblem attached, and German 2nd place medal...can't believe someone would pick this over an Iron Cross.

post-3423-0-22236400-1527214227_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-33497600-1527214239_thumb.jpg

The ribbon bar had come unpinned...took a look and found it was maker marked...that's about it...there's a bunch of stuff from his high school and college, but this is the bulk of it....

Mark sends

post-3423-0-32690300-1527214303_thumb.jpg

TheMariner

Wow thats an extensive set! Whoever tossed it is crazy, I get the turn off for the KKK thing but the early 20s was huge for the Klan a lot of people especially in the south were involved and the market for that stuff is insane, one of the auctions I sat in on had a lot of military stuff but also a small collection of KKK stuff, all of the KKK stuff went for a fortune some pieces brought in the 1000s so someone out there is buying it and they are paying up!

Incredible that it went to a Goodwill. What a fantastic find!!!

What's even more surprising is they didn't list it on the Goodwill auction website...You'd be amazed what gets donated to goodwill....There was a WW1 German officer's pickelhaube once complete with case...Auctioned off for over $3K....Bodes

everforward

This is a very nice grouping no doubt. IMHO I would have wanted to know more about the Klan stuff as well—it’s a fair assumption that it also belonged to the soldier in question, and it’s all history....his on a personal level as well as demonstrating other ‘signs of the times’ that the country was going thru in the 20s. Thanks for posting the pics. :)

Hi, great grouping. I too would be interesting in looking at the "other" stuff. Would you send pics off forum? I'll provide an email address.

manayunkman

Thank GOD times have changed.

Wonderful group with a poignant social message.

Great for display in your museum and a catalist to talk about change.

• 1 month later...

I contacted the National Underground Railroad and Freedom Center in Cincinnati and offered the robe and hood...after pondering it for a few days, I offered the whole group...no sense in both of our museums each telling half the story. So, their collections manager came up yesterday and accepted the whole trunk...if/when they put it on display I'll take some pictures...

Mark sends

firefighter

I contacted the National Underground Railroad and Freedom Center in Cincinnati and offered the robe and hood...after pondering it for a few days, I offered the whole group...no sense in both of our museums each telling half the story. So, their collections manager came up yesterday and accepted the whole trunk...if/when they put it on display I'll take some pictures...

Mark sends

Thats awesome. What an amazing find.