Attributed China Relief Expedition Medal

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

A big thank you both to Robert Wilson for this incredible acquisition, and to Clinton Foster for his master craftsmanship on reribboning the proper broach. I’m quite happy with this complete set- 30’s vintage miniature and rosette and type 1 ribbon. Of all of the pre-WWI campaign medals, the China Relief Expedition Medal has always been on my wish list. Both the simplicity of the ribbon, yet the complexity and elegance of the design of the planchet have made me fascinated with this medal from when i first started collecting. The level of detail in this medal is a major reason why i focus on early decorations- a tell way to know this is an original is on the “double ring” seen on the perimeter of the planchet- restrikes just don’t have this attention to detail. In addition, the Medal is numbered “No. 1523”.

CRE No. 1523 was issued to William A. Strickland. William Strickland was born on in Massachusetts on April 27th 1876 to Robert A Strickland, a Civil War veteran and Mary A. Strickland. He had a sister named Nettie who was born in 1871. When he was 22, Pvt. Strickland enlisted on January 20th, 1899 and was assigned to the 9th Infantry Regiment, aka the “Manchus”, where he fought in China during the Boxer Rebellion. He was listed as 5’7 1/4”, with dark brown hair and brown eyes with a dark complexion. The 9th Infantry Regiment was involved in Battle of Tientsin, the bloodiest battle of the Boxer Rebellion. During this battle, Col. Emerson H Liscum, the flag bearer for the regiment was killed by Chinese Sniper Fire; his dying words, “Keep up the fire”, later became the regiment’s motto. Following his time in China, he was discharged in Manila Bay, where he then reenlisted with the 8th infantry regiment and saw service during the Philippine Insurrection. In 1904, he reenlisted with the 20th infantry regiment out of Pennsylvania. At some point in his service, he was attached to the Connecticut Heavy Artillery Battery B. Following his time in the service, he met and married Sarah E Keeler. What could only be assumed as the tolls of war catching up with him, Pvt. Strickland passed away at the young age of 37 on August 17th, 1913.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

To: Alex Ashley

Unfortunately the Army CRE medal No. 1523(Sgt William A. Strickland) that you purchased a few months ago is a stolen medal.

It was stolen from me at the OVMS Show of Shows, Kentucky Exposition Center, Louisville, KY on February 28-March 1, 2013. I immediately reported this theft to the President of the OVMS, Bill Combs, and to two uniformed Louisville PD officers who were standing at the front entrance as security. All three informed me that the theft report must be filed with the Kentucky Exposition Center Security Office and I immediately filed the theft report with them. At the SOS, I informed many people of the theft so that they could be on the lookout for the medal in case the thief tried to sell it.

On April 10, 2013, I posted a notice of the theft on the US Militaria Forum entitled "Stolen Medals." :

The following US medal group was stolen from my table at the OVMS Show of Shows in Louisville, KY, on February 28, 2013:

1. China Relief Expedition Medal Army,, , No. 1523 (Strickland, William A. (Pvt..Stratford, Conn)

2. Philippine Campaign Medal, Army, No 24651 (Strickland, William A. (Sgt. Stratford, Conn)

3. United Spanish American War Veterans Badge, First type

The medals were issued to Sgt. William A. Strickland.

If you have any information about these medals, please contact:

James Lien

PO Box 1659

Winter Park, FL 32790-1659

A notice of the theft was also made on the OMSA website and in the OVMS Newsletter.

I purchased the Army CRE medal No. 1523(Sgt William A. Strickland) from FJP auction on 5/27/1998 and have owned the medal continuously for over 20 years.

James Lien

James...check your email...Alex has agreed to return your medal.

Note...I bought this medal in a collection in May 2017...I sold this medal to Alex in May 2018.It was brought to our/my attention it was one stolen from Mr Lein in Feb 2013. Alex has agreed to return the medal to Mr Lein and I fully refunded Alex for his cost.

Alex Ashley and myself Robert Wilson bought this medal in good faith. Robert

+4, adding that Robert I hope perhaps an investigation can be done into who sold you the medal. I think I speak for all that in a perfect world, the guy who stole this originally should be held accountable and Robert refunded. I know in most cases that is an unrealistic hope. In the end, the original victim gets his property though as a thief cannot pass good title. Very impressed Robert.

All 3 Guys involved in this are upstanding guys - I have known James for 10 years, Alex for 2 years, and Robert for more years than I can count - They all did the right thing.

Bill

we need a data base of medals that were stolen so we can keep track and cross off when found and up dated from

time to time. this might go out to all on this form, sounds like work but it will stops tears. just my 2 cents

Most likely it sat in the collection and never surfaced until I purchased it two years ago.I had it for sale about a year before it sold.

Thanks all for the response. There is no recourse but the widow of the collector.I would rather eat the money than involve her...she has no knowledge of where it previously came...I would not like to cause her any other grief.